• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Summer sausage and franks again.

Started by pikeman_95, November 01, 2013, 11:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pikeman_95

Well it is time to use up some of last years meat so I invited a friend to join me in some sausage making. We fell back to some of our old favorites. We each did 45 pounds of Summer sausage and 30# of German Frankfurters. Our total production was 150#. We stuffed on the first evening and then Smoked both batches the next day. It was brought to my attention that my camera needs the date reset but this was last Tuesday and Wed.

Here is a short video of the stuffing process. I was using my 30 pound Cannon with the foot control. It sure makes it easy. I have the speed turned down as this was Steve's first try.

http://s943.photobucket.com/user/pikeman_95/media/STEVE%20FTATAU%20SAUSAGE/MOVIEOFMAKINGSAUSAGEWITHWITHOUTADDRESS_zps990a5b3c.mp4.html

Here is the product that we made after stuffing with my Friend Steve.

This picture is of the Summer Sausage ready to come out of the smoker. 2 1/2 hours of heavy apple smoke.

They did pick up nice color in the smoker

Now summer sausage in the rack and ready for the hot water bath. My rack will only hold 90 pounds so that is why we each only did 45 pounds.

Bath at 165 and up to core temp. of 155F.

Now for the Franks' turn in the smoker.

After a couple of hours of heavy smoke they are ready for the bath.

After a couple of hours to bloom and then into the cooler over night. Here is the cut shot of each. They look similar but taste different. Both batches turned out Great. My friend is very happy with the sausage.

First the German frankfurters. The pork that I purchased was trimmed rather lean this time which makes my wife happy as she does not like a lot of fat in the sausage.

And now the summer sausage.

We already went hunting since we made this last week and have refilled the freezer again. I need a little down time to get rested up.

Kirby

ragweed

Wow!  That's some great batch of sausage!  That would last me and the wife all year!  BTW, you need to change the date on your camera.  Showing Feb 2008!!

pikeman_95

Thanks for the date reminder. I have fixed it but it is too late to do anything with the pictures. And yes this will last us most of the year. I did bring some sausage over to the rancher that let us hunt this morning.
Kirby

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

beefmann

great looking sausages, franks and  equipment  great  job

Saber 4

cobra6223

Dang Kirby they look perfect again!! every time you post those hotdogs my mouth just drools!!  ;D

KyNola

Man oh man Kirby, every time I see one of your posts like this it makes me hungry and jealous at the same time.  Great work.  Those franks especially look awesome.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smoke em if you got em

OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

STLstyle

That's great looking sausage.  Wow...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

Thompsoncentre

Any chance of getting the franks recipe?

OU812

pikeman_95

Sailor

Hey Kirby, what size casings did you use?  Don't think I have seen 30 inch casings and wondering where you found them.  What MM or dia are they?

Jim

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.