• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Powdered milk in hot sticks?

Started by dAWGS, November 03, 2013, 09:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dAWGS

Anyone ever add powdered milk to their hot stick/slim Jim recipe?     How much?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: dAWGS on November 03, 2013, 09:02:50 AM
Anyone ever add powdered milk to their hot stick/slim Jim recipe?     How much?

Anywhere from 3/4 to 1 cup depending on the weight of the recipe.

NON-FAT DRY MILK .

Milk powder has been used for years in sausage making. Acts as a binder by helping to retain the moisture of the meat. Although not highly effective as a binder, it can impart a creamier taste to some sausage products. You can use up to 12% (of the meat weight) without affecting the taste of the sausage. This product is good at hiding salt flavor in most sausage and is used in liver sausage, hot dogs and bologna

renoman

Is NON-FAT DRY MILK the same as the skim milk powder you would use to make milk?

Habanero Smoker

They are very similar, and are interchangeable. You may want to measure by weight because the size of the particles may not be the same.
Non Fat vs Skim Milk

The below link will take you to a list of common sausage ingredients. Once you get to the page click on Non Fat Dry Milk. The most common measurement use is at 3.5% of the green weight of meat and fat; which is slightly more then .5 ounces per pound (actually .56 oz).
Sausage Ingredients

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: renoman on November 03, 2013, 10:31:41 AM
Is NON-FAT DRY MILK the same as the skim milk powder you would use to make milk?

You can use either. Some grind it to make finer, I found not necessary. We all do things different, Do what suites your needs and works best for you.

Sailor

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 03, 2013, 02:30:43 PM
Quote from: renoman on November 03, 2013, 10:31:41 AM

You can use either. Some grind it to make finer, I found not necessary. We all do things different, Do what suites your needs and works best for you.

X2

Personally I found that I like the texture of using 2 oz of NFDM in a 5 pound batch of sticks.  As Rick said we all do things different.  I don't grind it.  I mix my cure #1 in 1/2 cup water then add my salt and stir it up then in goes the NFDM and stir it up then in goes the rest of the spices.  No right or wrong way  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.