• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

More Hillbilly Bacon

Started by ragweed, November 04, 2013, 05:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Here's proof there was no unicorn here this weekend.  Another batch of Hillbilly Bacon following Phone Guy's recipe.  Turned out great again.  Ready for the vac sealer.

Started with 15lbs, ended up with 12.  Does that seem about right?

Saber 4

That looks like some great bacon, I bet it would be good for making moink balls and abt's

KyNola

I'm thinking frying up a couple of those slabs and slap between 2 pieces of buttered toast would work for me!

Nicely done Joe.  I've made lots of belly bacon but haven't tried to make the Hillbilly bacon.  After seeing yours I'm going to have to give that a try.

Gafala

Looking great mine will be ready for smoking Friday.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

ragweed

Quote from: KyNola on November 04, 2013, 06:56:32 AM
I'm thinking frying up a couple of those slabs and slap between 2 pieces of buttered toast would work for me!

Nicely done Joe.  I've made lots of belly bacon but haven't tried to make the Hillbilly bacon.  After seeing yours I'm going to have to give that a try.

Thanks Larry.  I only tried the Hillbilly 'cause I couldn't find pork bellies.  I've quit lookin'.  ;D ;D

Bagman

ragweed, that looks great and am sure you will enjoy it!  The batch that I finished last week, I started with 15.5 lbs and ended with 12.5 lbs, so our numbers are about the same.  Did some belly bacon this weekend but cant say that it is any better than the BBB. I use the Hi Mountain BBB cure, $6.99 for 25 lbs and got it with free shipping from Bass Pro! :)
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

ragweed

Quote from: Bagman on November 05, 2013, 05:24:23 AM
ragweed, that looks great and am sure you will enjoy it!  The batch that I finished last week, I started with 15.5 lbs and ended with 12.5 lbs, so our numbers are about the same.  Did some belly bacon this weekend but cant say that it is any better than the BBB. I use the Hi Mountain BBB cure, $6.99 for 25 lbs and got it with free shipping from Bass Pro! :)

Thanks for the reply, Bagman.  I guess 20% loss is to be expected.  As to the cure, Phone Guy's recipe just uses Tender Quick and brown sugar with a little honey (or molasses or syrup) painted on before smoking.  Super easy and cheap.  Check it out it's on susanminor.org.

Joe

Bagman

Quote from: ragweed on November 05, 2013, 05:38:33 AM
Quote from: Bagman on November 05, 2013, 05:24:23 AM

Thanks for the reply, Bagman.  I guess 20% loss is to be expected.  As to the cure, Phone Guy's recipe just uses Tender Quick and brown sugar with a little honey (or molasses or syrup) painted on before smoking.  Super easy and cheap.  Check it out it's on susanminor.org.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I will be making my own cure when the Hi Mountain is gone and the way the BBB is flying out of the freezer that shouldn't be to long. I have some deer loins from last year that I need to use up.  I was thinking about curing them and making a version of Canadian deer bacon, was wondering if you or anyone has done this.
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

ragweed

I have some deer loins from last year that I need to use up.  I was thinking about curing them and making a version of Canadian deer bacon, was wondering if you or anyone has done this.
[/quote]

Not yet.  Raw material supply is low right now.  If we can replenish it here in a couple weeks, I want to make some pastrami out of some of the ham roasts.  The CB sounds interesting.  Let us know how it turns out.

Saber 4

I started out with the Hi Mtn BBB cure as well and have started using 10.5's maple bacon cure from the recipe site and we love it, not to sweet, not to salty, as Goldilocks would say "This one's just right" :)

pensrock

Hillbilly bacon is great. I probably made more of it than any kind of other bacon. Yep a couple pieces between some toast and tomatoes, Mmmmm.

iceman

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 05, 2013, 06:33:36 AM
I started out with the Hi Mtn BBB cure as well and have started using 10.5's maple bacon cure from the recipe site and we love it, not to sweet, not to salty, as Goldilocks would say "This one's just right" :)

LOL Saber! My adult beverage just shot out my nose!
Chris will be grinning from ear to ear when he sees this one.  ;D
It is our favorite too.  :)

Saber 4

Quote from: iceman on November 05, 2013, 01:40:17 PM
Quote from: Saber 4 on November 05, 2013, 06:33:36 AM

LOL Saber! My adult beverage just shot out my nose!
Chris will be grinning from ear to ear when he sees this one.  ;D
It is our favorite too.  :)

Glad to be of service :D