Ragweed's Hot Smoked Cheese Experiment (picture heavy)

Started by ragweed, November 07, 2013, 06:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

After reading Roget's post on hot smoking cheese, I decided to give it a try myself.  Bought two lbs of medium cheddar and a small baking pan this morning.

All ready for the OBS set at 150 F, loaded with 2 hrs of Special Blend pucks.  It's interesting how 2 packages of the same cheese, from the same shelf, can be such a different color.   ???

After 45 minutes.  Strange looking liquid beginning to appear.  Looks and feels like oil.

After 1 hr.  "I'm melting!!"

1 1/2 hrs.  "I've melted!!"  Lots of "oil".

Cooling on the counter with the "oil" mopped up as best I could.

Sliced and tasted.

Sorry, Devo.  No video of me tasting it was necessary.  No ash tray flavor.  Just a weird texture.  It tasted good but like it had been cooked.  Duh!  I was surprised to see all that oil/moisture come out.  I assume it was the same stuff as the little droplets of moisture I sometimes see after smoking, but much, much more of it.   :o  I think I'll be cold smoking cheese from now on!!.

Saber 4

I wonder if it would have worked with an American cheese instead of cheddar, I found out today from Pensrock that my problem with his flavored cheeses was that I had used cheddar instead of American which makes sense when you consider that American cheese is designed to melt better than other cheeses that's why it's used on burgers and such. However, I think I'm with you and will stick to cold smoking for cheese, I am going to get some Velveeta to try making some smoked cheese dip, may even throw a bag of Frito's in to see how they smoke up.

pensrock

Cheddar will have a different texture for sure. And if it oils out too much it will get dry and crumbly. I love smoked xsharp cheddar but never tried melt it. I only cold smoke it and enjoy.