Winter temperature question

Started by UncleAl, November 10, 2013, 06:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleAl

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum I got my smoker about a month ago and am addicted to it. I really learned a lot from all of the posts that I have read.

I have noticed that as it gets colder it takes a lot longer for the unit to get up to 225. I have read several posts about adding either a second element or a 900 watt element. My question is if I make this mod should I be able to use the smoker all winter? I live in Michigan and temperature gets down to around 0 – 32 in the middle of the winter. The smoker is in my garage and vented outside so I can keep the doors closed.

ragweed

It gets cold in Nebraska, too in the winter.  I have no mods on my OBS.  Unless it's real windy, I don't have problems getting to temp.  Just takes a little longer than in the summertime.  Be patient.

Dano

Same in S.Ontario.  We get some chilly temps and I have the same setup as you, in the garage and venting out.  Hardest part is done as you're keeping it out of the wind so it's just the ambient cold that gets at the box.  I have the digital model and no mod, great for cold smoking(seriously consider it with the temps!) but for hot smoking I usually start it up 90 minutes beforehand, damper closed, instead of 60 mins.  I find it allows me to get other stuff done with a cold beverage.  :)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

UncleAl

Thanks that's good to know my wife and I are really getting use to the good tasting food this thing makes.

Saber 4

You can put boiling water in the bowl at the beginning of the pre-heat phase or add a couple of foil covered bricks heated in the oven for faster heat recovery. At the end of your smoke period you can replace the water bowl with a 9x13 cake pan of hot or boiling water also.

dman4505

Quote from: ragweed on November 10, 2013, 06:50:28 AM
It gets cold in Nebraska, too in the winter.  I have no mods on my OBS.  Unless it's real windy, I don't have problems getting to temp.  Just takes a little longer than in the summertime.  Be patient.

x2 here in Iowa
mine is also in the garage and I also use it throughout the winter

just be patient young grasshopper

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

TedEbear

Quote from: UncleAl on November 10, 2013, 06:45:26 AMMy question is if I make this mod should I be able to use the smoker all winter? I live in Michigan and temperature gets down to around 0 – 32 in the middle of the winter. The smoker is in my garage and vented outside so I can keep the doors closed.

If it is an unheated garage you might look into adding some insulation around the outside walls of your smoker.  Several people on here have done this and they say it helps. 

Here's a link to some ideas:  Smoking When the Temperature Drops