• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How do you know it's cured?

Started by JDNC, November 11, 2013, 04:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDNC

I've got a beef brisket flat cut in half and also a pork loin, all in the fridge in Hab's cure.

My question is..how can I really tell if when its cured?  Tomorrow is day 4 for all.  Per Hab's pastrami recipe, I made the basic cure by weight (weighed in grams) and used 1 tablespoon per pound of weighed meat.

The flat is about 1"-2" thick at most and each half weighs about 4 lbs.  the pork loin weighed 4 lbs.
I need to smoke the brisket tomorrow as I am planning to take it to a different location and finish cooking/steaming this weekend.  I'm not worried about the loin as I know it needs approximately 6 days or more but I'm in desperate need for the brisket.

I have flipped and massaged these babies twice daily and they fill different and somewhat firm or hard around the edges but I don't know if things are progressing as they should or not.  I've read on some thread that you shouldn't have any soft spots but what does that mean?  The whole brisket appears firmer but still soft and flexible.

I don't know what to do but proceed on schedule as tomorrow evening will be 4.5 days and I need to soak and apply dry rub and fridge overnight for smoking on Wednesday (leaving Thursday).

Any help would be appreciated
JD

Habanero Smoker

I cannot give a 100% reassurance, but can only say curing for 4 days I've never had a problem with brisket of that thickness. I have a refrigerator that keeps pretty even temperatures in all zones, and I keep it at 38°F. If your refrigerator is colder or has cold spots, that can slow the curing process. If you followed the recipe, the timing should work out alright. The only members that had problems with those curing times, had place the meat in a very cold area of the refrigerator. For future curing buy a cheap refrigerator thermometer and place it in the area you are curing your meat. That way you will know the exact temperature the meat is curing at, and if it is too cold you will know to add an extra day or two.

Testing the firmness is one method, and it should be firm in all areas, but it is not fool proof. The exception will be if you left a thick fat cap, and it may feel softer in those areas. The outer edges will usually feel firmer then the rest. When I have doubts I will cure an extra day, though you don't have that luxury, by the time you take it out of the cure you will have cured it 4.5 days.

If it is not fully cured, when it is cooked there may be a strip of grayish color in the center of the meat. If you have smoked/cooked it using my cabinet temperatures; other than the appearance; the meat is safe to eat. Though it will have that gray center, it will still taste like pastrami, but you need to store it as you would an uncured brisket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JDNC

Hab,

As for fridge temp, I'm a little high.  I checked it with an accurate thermometer at the location on the meat (bottom of fridge) and the temp was 42. I left the thermometer in the fridge and the temp never changed.  I'm not very concerned with this temp as I've never had a problem with spoilage.  I've got the fridge set at its coldest setting though.

Checked the meat this morn and I think it will be ok but as firm...yeah I guess.  It's very flexible.  Less than when I first put it in?  Hard to tell.  I'm going to wait to the last minute this evening before soaking.  I guess I card off all the seasoning before soaking correct?

Thanks for such a quick reply,
JD

JDNC

In reference to fat cap...I trimmed most off, a little worried about that.  I have not really subscribed to outside fat helping much in the past.  I think it makes more of a mess than anything.  I do think that there is a fine line between cooking temperatures (too low too long = dry with lean meats) as dryness is concerned so I think I'll take your recommendations as to IT temps and smoking temps. 

Again thanks,
JD

KyNola

I typically trim off the fat cap from a brisket and a pork butt.  That wouldn't be a concern to me.

JDNC

Thanks...feel better about it,hopefully it will turn out ok.

JD

Saber 4

I think you will be just fine, you have gotten info from a couple of the good guy's on the forum whom I know from personal experience would have told you in a nice way if they saw a significant problem with your cure and smoke plan.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: JDNC on November 12, 2013, 04:05:02 AM
Hab,

As for fridge temp, I'm a little high.  I checked it with an accurate thermometer at the location on the meat (bottom of fridge) and the temp was 42. I left the thermometer in the fridge and the temp never changed.  I'm not very concerned with this temp as I've never had a problem with spoilage.  I've got the fridge set at its coldest setting though.

Checked the meat this morn and I think it will be ok but as firm...yeah I guess.  It's very flexible.  Less than when I first put it in?  Hard to tell.  I'm going to wait to the last minute this evening before soaking.  I guess I card off all the seasoning before soaking correct?

Thanks for such a quick reply,
JD

I forgot to mention some refrigerators have warm spots. At that temperature, your curing schedule should be fine. To test for firmness, you shouldn't go by flexibility, but by how the meat feels when you press down on it with your finger or thumb.

The below link shows how to finger test cooked meat. The finger test for example of "well done", is similar to the firmness you should expect from cured whole muscle.
Firmness of Meat

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JDNC

Thanks everyone...I have corned beef!

Cooked and steamed a small piece about the size of your hand after soaking and it tasted great.  A little on the salty side, but probably due to the thickness.  I soaked it 30 and 30 minutes.  I'm going to do the same for the remaining two flats as I think they will be less salty.  Tomorrow..smoking!

JD

Saber 4

Good to hear, congratulations on the corned beef. You are officially hooked into your new addiction. :)

Habanero Smoker

Great!

By the meat resting overnight, that will give time for the salt and cure more time to equally distribute through out the meat. This may mellow out the salt taste, along with the cooking process.

When you soak, use plenty of water. I use at least 3 gallons of water; per each soak.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JDNC

Hab,
I used at least that much or more.  I first washed all the stuff off as best as I could prior to soaking.  Per your instructions, after 30 minutes I changed water and soaked another 30.  Patted try with paper towels and applied the rub and into the fridge uncovered.

Waiting for the sun to come up so I can get to it this morning.  I'm going to smoke until I get an IT 155+ or so, cool until warm and vacuum pack for the trip.

JD

KyNola

If you have enough time before you leave tomorrow you might want to consider allowing the meat to rest overnight in the frig tightly wrapped in plastic wrap and foil.  Vac seal tomorrow morning if you have the time before leaving.  I think you'll have a better tasting product.  If you don't have time, go as originally planned.  You'll still have a delicious product.

Congrats on your success!

GusRobin

I will apologize in advance but after I keep reading the title of this thread, I can't help myself.

How do you know it's cured? When the Dr says it can go home.

That was bad, but it is a Wed. so what do you expect. We now return you to the regular scheduled program.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.