• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

9lb belly

Started by RedJada, November 16, 2013, 11:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

Need to make some more bacon and just picked up a 9lb pork belly. I like 10.5's recipe on the recipe site. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?319-Maple-Cured-Bacon. I was thinking just doubling this recipe as if I were doing 10lbs. Anyone see any problems with that? Or should I dived it pound for pound?

iceman

Just double the recipe. You can use all but a small amount of it that way.
Mine is already starting to firm up a bit. Another 4 or 5 days and it's smoke time for my batch.
Enjoy RedJada.

RedJada

Thanks iceman. Just got done seasoning a 4.5lb sirloin steak cut about 1-3/4 thick and into the smoker for about 1.5-2 hours smoke with oak. then to the hot coals on the BBQ to finish off. Now I'm off to get the belly sauce and curing going so I can smoke next weekend. In the past, I have removed the skin prior to curing/smoking. This time I will cure skin on and remove after smoking. I will be smoking skin side up, thinking the flavors from the skin will make it better. Then, remove skin fresh out of the smoker.

RedJada

Question, My 2gal bags don't to want to seal very well. I cut the 9lb belly into three pieces to make it more manageable. So I have three 2gal bags that don't seal completely. I put them all into a Tupperware type container that I can seal. Its about 14 inches long X 8 inches wide X 5 inches tall. Would it be better to just get rid of the bags?

KyNola

It is possible that some of your cure mixture got into the sealing ridges of your bags.  Take a paper towel and firmly run it along both sides of the sealing ridges on the bags and see if that will help them seal.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on November 16, 2013, 06:40:48 PM
It is possible that some of your cure mixture got into the sealing ridges of your bags.  Take a paper towel and firmly run it along both sides of the sealing ridges on the bags and see if that will help them seal.

That's what I do as well
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RedJada

That helped, but they really don't to stay sealed all the way. So I'm hoping the sealed container will help.

Saber 4

Quote from: RedJada on November 17, 2013, 04:31:05 AM
That helped, but they really don't to stay sealed all the way. So I'm hoping the sealed container will help.

A good vacuum sealer is handy at this point in the process if you have one.

RedJada

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 17, 2013, 08:38:48 AM

I do have one and thought about it. But the cure is on and in the zip lock bags. I'm just worried of leaving too much cure in the zip bags. Although I may do it anyway before the juices start flowing.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: RedJada on November 17, 2013, 09:37:50 AM
Quote from: Saber 4 on November 17, 2013, 08:38:48 AM

I do have one and thought about it. But the cure is on and in the zip lock bags. I'm just worried of leaving too much cure in the zip bags. Although I may do it anyway before the juices start flowing.

Your over analyzing this whole thing. Roll the top of the bag down put a piece of tape to hold it then put it in the fridge in a cookie sheet to catch any drippage.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Saber 4

ratherbboating

The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

RedJada

LOL, that's what I ended up doing..... ;D