• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First time cure, with finished product

Started by lumpy, November 18, 2013, 02:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

So I finally jumped into the ring and did my first curing project. Converted a small bar fridge for my curing chamber and am using the Auber temp and humidity controller. Funny thing is that I do not need any control on the humidity part as the fridge is holding a constant 63% humidity. Starting from the left, 2 pork tenderloins and the third is a loin.
I started about 10 days ago and the tenderloins have lost about 20% of their weight. The loin being thicker has lost about 18% of the original weight.

First picture is day one and the second was yesterday.

Stay tuned ;D

Lumpy

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Saber 4

looks good, I'll be keeping an eye on this one for sure.

KyNola

What cure mix did you use?

Tenpoint5

I'll admit it CURE # 2 projects scare the bejeezes out of me!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 18, 2013, 08:07:38 PM
I'll admit it CURE # 2 projects scare the bejeezes out of me!
One of the reasons I posed the question Chris.

devo

Hey Lumpy
Can you tell us a little more about the recipe your following? Very interested in knowing which cures and cultures you might have used? I can't really tell if you have any good white mold growing yet.

lumpy

I used the recipe from the book Salumi page 168, Filetto. For all 3, but did not dust the meats after curing as I wanted to see what it would taste like without all the aromatics on the outside. Just to get an idea of what it might need.

Don- I did not use a culture, wanted to try with out one for my first try. Have not taken that course yet :-\

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Looks good Lump

Your using a kindle. My nook has this recipe on page 125

devo

Starting to get that good dark color. I thought where the red arrow is pointing that you had some white mold growing but could not tell from the picture.
Keep us informed

lumpy

Don- Your eyes are good, yes it is white mould. Should I just leave it?

lumpy

Here is the finished product.
It turned out even better than I had hoped.

[/img]

Tenpoint5

I hate you! and that NEPAS fella too!! making me really want to do this cure 2 thing
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lumpy

Yah, well I hate you even more. You make more funky stuff than I do. 8)

Thanks Chris!

Saber 4

Quote from: lumpy on November 22, 2013, 08:00:40 PM
Yah, well I hate you even more. You make more funky stuff than I do. 8)

Thanks Chris!

You're all killing me with this great looking stuff, I'm going to have to take out a loan to try all this new stuff.