• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need helkp - Killed a pig at the deer lease and want to smoke the hams

Started by Robert Rose, November 24, 2013, 01:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Rose

Never done this before and not sure I know how to do it. Do I just smoke them or do I need to Brine them or cure them? If I need to brinbe or cure what do I need and how do I do it? You have a total rookie here so be detailed.
Robert Rose
Director Region 3
Texas Association of Bass Clubs
CoCoRaHS Volunteer TX-ER-4

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Saber 4

Since you have both hams you might try smoking one fresh and one cured to see which you like best. No matter what you choose to do they will be dryer than domestic ham's are so take that into consideration as you read through the recipe site. As you come up with a plan that works to your taste ask any questions that come up and you will probably get several options in response.

Habanero Smoker

As mentioned there are several options. You can just go season it and dry roast with smoke if you want, but as mentioned if the hams are leaner then domestic pigs you may want to go with a brine. The wet brine can either be a salt only brine, which will give you that fresh ham taste, tasting more like a pork roast than a ham. Or you can use a cure to give that "traditional" type of ham flavor.

I don't like my finished hams (fresh or cured) to be too salty. With a salt brine I like to go with 2 ounces of salt per quart; or 8 ounces per gallon. That is equal to 1 cup of Morton Kosher salt or 3/4 cup + 1 teaspoon of pickling salt (or non iodized table salt); other recipes will use much more.  If you are making a salt brine, almost any good brine recipe for poultry will work for ham or other pork cuts. Or google fresh ham brines. Ann Burrell's brine is very good, but I had to inject 10%, and increase her brine time to 5 days; to really get those flavor deep into the ham. The amount she makes (2 gallons) is a little overkill, so once you calculate the needed brine (see link below) you can adjust the other ingredients. She also uses 8 ounces of salt per gallon.

The below link is how I cure my hams. If you use this recipe I highly recommend that you follow step one, it really boosts the flavors in the brine. Over the years, I've done these hams many times making several adjustments in ingredients (especially the salt amount and cure), and the drying, smoking and cooking times are based on using the Bradley Smoker. For myself I like bone in ham. They seem to have more flavor and moisture. 
Smoke Cured Hams

I'm not sure how big your hams are, but injecting is important, whether you are using a salt only brine, or if you adding cure #1. I've brined a fresh ham without injecting and was disappointed with the end results. With injection and submerging into the brine your hams will be either full brined or fully cured in 5 - 7 days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Robert Rose

Thanks Guys

Much good info. The hog live weight was probably 80 to 90 lbs. the hams are probably about 6 lbs each. We have them in an ice chest with ice and water to draw some of the blood out until I can get the ingredients to brine them.
Robert Rose
Director Region 3
Texas Association of Bass Clubs
CoCoRaHS Volunteer TX-ER-4

Habanero Smoker

Let us know how they turn out. With them being 6 pounds you can use the lower end of the brine times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Saber 4

Quote from: Robert Rose on November 25, 2013, 10:13:16 AM
Thanks Guys

Much good info. The hog live weight was probably 80 to 90 lbs. the hams are probably about 6 lbs each. We have them in an ice chest with ice and water to draw some of the blood out until I can get the ingredients to brine them.

I've never soaked my hogs and have never had dry or gamey meat so I would pull them and brine them as soon as you can get the ingredients.

NorthShoreMN

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 25, 2013, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: Robert Rose on November 25, 2013, 10:13:16 AM
Thanks Guys

I've never soaked my hogs and have never had dry or gamey meat so I would pull them and brine them as soon as you can get the ingredients.

If you can massage the legs from hoof to ball joint this helps get any blood remaining in blood vessels out and will help find those vessels for injection points. Helped a fellow do 4 yesterday he injected all four around bone and blood vessels then rubbed with salt and instacure # 2. Brine for injection same ingredients
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NorthShoreMN on November 25, 2013, 05:33:17 PM
Helped a fellow do 4 yesterday he injected all four around bone and blood vessels then rubbed with salt and instacure # 2. Brine for injection same ingredients

Is he making country hams?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

NorthShoreMN

He told me the two Hams were going to be cured for a month then hung to dry.  The two Picnic Hams were going to cure for a month then be rinsed and cold smoked for 24 hours , then hot smoked to IT of 150.
He did this same method 2 years ago. I didn't see him do it that time but the hams were very good.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering why he was using Instacure #2.

I
         don't
                   inhale.