• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question on my 1st bacon cure

Started by PapaC, November 26, 2013, 03:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PapaC

Ok I am following tenpoint's recipe. I have cured it for 7 days. I took it out of bag and rinsed it off. The directions say it should be firm/stiff to the touch. Some of it does, maybe half the surface, and the edges, but some of it still feels somewhat soft. How critical is this? I went ahead and put it on a rack in the fridge to dry out till tomorrow, but I guess I can mix up more cure and give it longer if any of you experts think I should, or will it be OK? Thoughts?
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

devo

I'm thinking the ones that feel a little softer have more fat in them. Seven days should have been plenty for belly bacon.

RedJada

You'll be fine, like Devo said. Maybe a little extra flavor (opps, I mean fat). Just smoke for a couple hours around 160 then bump the temp a bit. I like to bring to an IT of around 150-160. Some people say this temp is ready to eat but I always fry it up first. Also, if you will be using a slicer, it's good to half freeze the pieces first. Slices easier and less mess.

PapaC

Great. Thanks guys. I'll be smokin it tomorrow after work then slicing up. I'm pretty anxious so was hoping I wouldn't have to wait much longer  ;)  Unfortunately I don't have a slicer (yet), so I'll be doing it with a knife. I'll be sure and update my previous post with pics etc. 
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

iceman

Just pulled mine out yesterday. Don't worry about some of it a bit soft. 7 days is about right on the cure. Sliced some of mine with a knife too. Just make sure it's cold and firm so it slices easy.
Mine turned out very tasty and not to salty. Did 3 hours of apple just for fun. Pulled at 150F. then let it sit a day in the fridge before slicing. You're going to like it  :)

Tenpoint5

Yep you'll be fine. Have had some get hard and some stay soft. It depends on the animal that gave you the belly.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!