• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Opinions on Cabelas/Weston 11 pound stuffer

Started by RAF128, December 03, 2013, 03:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

Right now I've got a L.E.M. 5 lb stuffer.   It works great but, it's too small.   Refilling it constantly and takes lots of cranking to get the piston all the way up to refill.   I see the one at Cabelas which is made by Weston and two speeds which would make reloading faster.   They are going on sale on Thursday for $299, $60 off the regular price.   I read some reviews and there were some negatives.   I'm asking for some opinions.

Salmonsmoker

RAF, I have the 11# Cabela's and it's served me well. I've had it for at least 8 years. It has a fast return speed to pull the piston back up and disassembles easily for clean up. I think it has nylon gears, which to this point still don't show any signs of wear. The only thing that I wonder about in comparison to other vertical stuffers is the large amount of meat still in the stuffer when the piston bottoms out. I don't know if the other brands do this.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

beefmann

11 lb stuffer is great for doing 10 - 11 lb batches of sausages,,, and i agree 5 lb suffers  are small for  most  recipes,,, my  rule of thumb is .. buy the sausage stuffer for the  size of batch you  are  doing on a regular basis,,, if it is  10 lb batch,, get the  one  closest to 10 lb.. if  you  do a  25  lb  batch,,, get the  25 lb stuffer

Bagman

I have the LEM 15# stuffer and do 25# batches of sausage.  Have to refill once but am usually ready for a cold beverage by that time anyway!
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

ragweed

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 03, 2013, 07:26:45 AM
RAF, I have the 11# Cabela's and it's served me well. I've had it for at least 8 years. It has a fast return speed to pull the piston back up and disassembles easily for clean up. I think it has nylon gears, which to this point still don't show any signs of wear. The only thing that I wonder about in comparison to other vertical stuffers is the large amount of meat still in the stuffer when the piston bottoms out. I don't know if the other brands do this.

My little 5 lb LEM leaves about 1/4 lb when it bottoms out.  Just enough to fry up and try.

Gafala

I have the 11lb Cabelas and have had no problems with it.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Rckcrwlr

I have Cabela's 22# stuffer and have had it for years.  I added the electric motor with foot pedal to help with the 70+# of Sausage I do a couple times a year.  Especially when I do it myself.

Saber 4

I have a Weston 11 lb stuffer with metal gears and tubes and it's a work horse.

RAF128

I bought the 11 lb stuffer yesterday.   I can see why it leaves a lot of meat behind.   The way the piston is a attached requires a lot of space at the bottom.   Like the LEM system better but this should serve my needs.

Saber 4

Quote from: RAF128 on December 06, 2013, 04:06:19 AM
I bought the 11 lb stuffer yesterday.   I can see why it leaves a lot of meat behind.   The way the piston is a attached requires a lot of space at the bottom.   Like the LEM system better but this should serve my needs.

I'll have to look at it next time I go to Cabelas to see the difference, I have the Weston 11 lb and I have more meat in the stuffing tube than the bottom of the stuffer.

Rckcrwlr

Quote from: Saber 4 on December 06, 2013, 10:26:20 AM
I'll have to look at it next time I go to Cabelas to see the difference, I have the Weston 11 lb and I have more meat in the stuffing tube than the bottom of the stuffer.

Same here with the 22lb'r

Salmonsmoker

Interesting. With my Cabela's 11# stuffer there's got to be at least 1/2 # left over in the stuffer and stuffing tube.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Saber 4

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on December 07, 2013, 07:41:42 AM

Interesting. With my Cabela's 11# stuffer there's got to be at least 1/2 # left over in the stuffer and stuffing tube.

I cheat on the leftover in the stuffer tube and disconnect it from the stuffer with the last casing still on it and use a piece of paper towel wadded up and the back end of a chop stick to push it through into the casing, then I have about a 1/4 cup of sausage left in the stuffer base to fry up and taste.