will I get flovour transfer if I smoke fish then jerky??

Started by bubbacorn, December 05, 2013, 07:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbacorn

I've heard so many times that you will ruin jerky if you've smoked fish in the same smoker.

KyNola

Salmonsmoker

Not true as long as you wash the racks between batches. I do everything in the smoker including 250-300# of salmon every year. It only smells of smoke on the inside. Perhaps these "other smokers" are not keeping the top vent open and are getting excessive moisture condensation in the box. Although, I have a 4" flex duct sitting on the top vent that turns 90 deg. horizontal and then 90's vertical to get past the roof overhang, with a pencil hole at the bottom of the vertical 90 for condensation escape and the drips only smell of smoky water. And that's when smoking salmon.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

jjmoney

My frog mats picked up a deep fish smell that I have been unable to clean out of them, but the smoker itself didn't take any fishy odor.

Saber 4

Quote from: jjmoney on December 15, 2013, 08:18:03 PM
My frog mats picked up a deep fish smell that I have been unable to clean out of them, but the smoker itself didn't take any fishy odor.

lemon juice is supposed to take fish smell off of hands and pans it might work on the frog mats.