• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A couple of thoughts for post Christmas projects

Started by Saber 4, December 06, 2013, 10:48:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I've had a couple of off the wall ideas floating around in the empty cavity that resides between my ears and since I couldn't find anything using the search box I figured I'd throw it out there to every body.

1st idea, has anyone ever used smoked salt instead of plain salt in their sausage recipes for another layer of flavor?

2nd idea, has anyone cold smoked uncooked rice to use in dishes or just to cook and serve plain with a meal?

devo

1-yes and I did not notice any difference.

2- Nope but sounds interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

pensrock

I used to use hickory smoked salt in my venison jerky years ago before I got a smoker. I used the smoked salt in the marinade then dried it in a dehydrator. It was actually pretty good.

Saber 4

Quote from: devo on December 06, 2013, 10:54:41 AM
1-yes and I did not notice any difference.

2- Nope but sounds interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Just out of curiosity how much smoke did your salt have on it?

KyNola

Robert,
My hickory smoked salt had about 18 hours of hickory pellet smoke on it.  It smells really smoky and is a tan color but I have found it to be more of a "finishing" salt to be used at the end of a dish.  I have tried subbing it for regular salt in a recipe and didn't detect any smokiness to the dish at all.  Seasoning a dish with smoked salt after it has been plated does impart a smoky flavor.   

pensrock

The smoked salt I used at the time was bought at a store or local market. I did not have a smoker back then so had no way to make my own. But it was very dark in color, almost brown.