• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

snack stick smoker time?

Started by watchdog56, December 09, 2013, 08:13:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I stopped at a local butcher shop and the guy there said they do 150# batches. I asked him if they water bath and he said no. He said they cook for an hour then smoke then cook again at 164 degrees.
I asked him how long it took and he said 3-4 hours. I know the Bradley way people start out at 120 then bump up until cabinet temp gets to 160-170 and IT hits 152 so the sticks don't fat out but that usually takes me 7-8 hours with about 10# of meat. I was wondering if you ever tried to smoke at 140 for a couple of hours then turn temp up to 165 so they get done quicker?
What are your thoughts about doing it this way?

watchdog56

devo

I'm sure if you had a industrial convection type of smoker where the air is moving around the unit and it was the same temp top to bottom and side to side you could cut the time down to half but I can't afford one of those 6000. dollar smokers  ;D

Sailor

Quote from: devo on December 10, 2013, 08:37:20 AM
I'm sure if you had a industrial convection type of smoker where the air is moving around the unit and it was the same temp top to bottom and side to side you could cut the time down to half but I can't afford one of those 6000. dollar smokers  ;D
How many 500 watt light bulbs you think it takes to run a smoker that can hold 150 pounds  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

NePaSmoKer

Starting at 140 then jumping to 160/65 can result in a fat-out.

My walk in smokehouse is run by a traeger hopper /fire box. Around 26,000 btu. Close to a commercial smoker.

Sailor

Got to remember that fat starts to liquify around 100 degrees.  Low and slow on them sticks.

watchdog56

Just wish there was a quicker way. For as thin as the sticks are you would not think it would take that long. :-\

tailfeathers

"Quicker" and "Bradley" are mutually exclusive terms, best to not use them in the same sentence. Faster is not necessary better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Sailor

Quote from: watchdog56 on December 10, 2013, 11:13:09 AM
Just wish there was a quicker way. For as thin as the sticks are you would not think it would take that long. :-\
I have a fan in my OBS and it takes around 6 hours to do 10 pounds of sticks.  It takes time do do things right  ;D

watchdog56

But if sausage does not fat out until temp hits 180 or so and if you set the temp to 165 with a PID would it still fat out?

Sailor

Quote from: watchdog56 on December 11, 2013, 03:13:34 PM
But if sausage does not fat out until temp hits 180 or so and if you set the temp to 165 with a PID would it still fat out?
Why don't you do a test batch at 165 and let us know how they turn out. See if they finish in a shorter amount of time and if they fat out or not.  That is the only way that you will know for sure.  For me I think I will continue to do them the way that I always have.  ;D

Z7extreme

I did 10 pound of 21mm snack sticks a month ago with 8lb venison and 2lb of pork fat. Low and slow is the only way I do them. I heat at 140 for an hour then smoke at 140 for 4 hours with hickory then cook at 170 or 180 till an internal temp of 160 is reached. I rotated the racks every hour and during the last hour of heating I inserted my temp probes in two spots on the bottom rack until they reached 160. Then I remove the bottom rack and cool in ice water while I move the next rack down and probe that rack and wait till 160. Took me around 8 hours that way and they turned out awesome.