• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Corn syrup solids substitute

Started by Northern_Smoke, December 14, 2013, 06:39:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern_Smoke

Does anyone know of a corn syrup solids substitute? I want to make Rytek's dry cured genoa salami but don't have corn syrup solids. Also, his recipe doesn't call for any starter culture. Has anyone made this recipe? Should i add culture?

Thanks.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

devo

If you have Dextrose use that or you can use Clear Karo syrup

Northern_Smoke

Thank you very much. Would you use it at the same rate as the solids?

pikeman_95

I believe that you could use dextrose at the same rate. I have two stores in town that sell spices and other things in bulk bins or jars. I am lucky enough that I can pick it up locally.

devo

If you use the syrup you might want to cut back a touch on any liquid but I really don't think it will make much difference if you don,t. If using syrup and your worried about the liquid ratio getting screwed up you could also add non fat dry milk power. What corn syrup solids is basically dextrose, not much difference.

Sailor

You can get corn syrup solids from sausage maker, its more like a binder but adds flavor. you can use clear karo also.

The below measurements is from a SS recipe that Nepas gave me so you can work out the ratios of the recipe that you are using.

Karo for 5 lbs
1.60 fl oz

10 lbs
3.20 fl oz

corn syrup solids

5 lbs
1.40 oz

10 lbs
2.80 oz

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Northern_Smoke

Thank you everyone for the info. I am going to order some corn syrup solids for the next time. I was in a pinch today since I had ground the meat on Thursday with the intention of making my sausage then. But with all the little curve balls life threw at me and a change in recipes , I needed to get it done today and had no time to wait for a shipment of specialty products to come in.

NePaSmoKer

SWEETENERS: Sugars are use to add flavor and to cover or mask salt. Sugars will cause browning when the product is pan fried or grilled. There are different forms of sugar. The most common is cane sugar. Cane is what we normally call table sugar. It can be used in meat brines but is not widely used in sausage because it has a tendency to burn or scorch. Brown sugar is used in most brines but sometimes used in meat because of its flavor.

DEXTROSE - 70% as sweet as cane sugar and quite a bit heavier. Helps reduce nitrate to nitrite as meats are cured. Used to counter salt in brines. Dextrose assists fermentation, which gives us the desired tang of flavor. The most common sugar used in meat is dextrose. Dextrose is corn sugar and it will not burn as easily as cane or beet sugar. When a recipe calls for cane sugar you can replace it with dextrose by adding 20% more dextrose than cane sugar due to the sweetness factor between cane sugar and dextrose.

CORN SYRUP / CORN SYRUP SOLIDS - Only about 40-50% as sweet as cane sugar. will help to hold water and color in meat, bind the meat when curing sausage at low temperatures, aid the fermentation process when semi-dry or dry curing. Add no more than 2% of the green weight of the meat.

Northern_Smoke

Thank you very much. That was a really interesting read. I plan on printing it out and adding it to my notes for future reference.

devo

Ya it was really funny when I got into sausage making and tried to order  CORN SYRUP SOLIDS from sausage maker dot com. They told me it was not allowed to be shipped across the border. Found out you really don't need to have it as there are alternatives.