• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New to smoking, looking for a good roast recipe

Started by troutbug, December 28, 2013, 10:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutbug

Hello everyone,

Great site here! My wife bought me a bradley digital smoker for Christmas, best gift ever, now I want to use it but am new to smoking.

I was wondering, does anyone here have a fairly simple yet delicious recipe for a beef or pork roast? As I said I am new to this so some detailed instructions would be a huge benefit.,

thanks and I hope to share lots with you all

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Grouperman941

For most lean roasts, this will work:

- Cover with salt and pepper and let rest on a Bradley rack on the counter while smoker heats. (helps for it to not be very cold)

-fill water bowl with hot water

-preheat smoker to 225 degrees (high)       **a probe thermometer helps. hang in cabinet.

-load 10 pucks into smoke generator (2 hrs 40 minutes smoke)

-stick thermometer probe into center of roast     **most important thing to learn! Cook to temp, not time

-when smoker is hot, add meat to an upper rack position

-run thermometer probe wire through vent or out door to thermometer base

-advance pucks to start smoke if necessary

-make sure top vent is open wide

-Keep door closed!

-cook until desirable Internal Temperature is reached

-for beef, 122-125 will be rare, up to 160 plus for well done
-pork is a minimum of 145, starts to get pretty dry at 160

-remove from smoker, cover with foil,  and let rest 20 minutes

I do this with eye round. It takes about 3 hours for rare deli-style roast beef. Also good with strip, ribeye, tenderloin, loin, etc.

You can get a lot more complicated, but not much simpler. With a little modification, this will work with many foods.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

beefmann

welcome aboard,,,  look at the recipe side for gun powder rub,,, make it up, apply it to the  pork or beef, smoke  with  mesquite, hickory or oak... start off  with 2 hours of smoke ( 8 pucks , 6 will burn and turn into  smoke ) adjust up or  down from there to your taste of  smoke, keep your  top vent  open..  keep your  top vent  open

UncleAl

Welcome aboard from Michigan your journey is just beginning.

Habanero Smoker

Hi troutbug;

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for a more tender cut to roast, the top loin make a great beef roast. Below is a link to a recipe I use for top loin, and the leftovers makes the best roast beef sandwiches I ever had.

Smoked Top Loin with Garlic-Herb Crust
You can also substitute a different crust or rub. If you decide to use a dry rub, and not a paste for the crust a crust, leave about 1/8" fat cap on the roast.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)