• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking in a garage

Started by troutbug, December 28, 2013, 10:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutbug

Its snowing like crazy today and pretty cold, if a guy used his smoker in the garage im guessing the garage would fill up pretty quick with the smoke smell correct? I want to smoke for the first time today but with the snow my only option is the garage

devo

Leave the big door open, get yourself a case of beer and a lawn chair and sit there and baby sit it. Welcome to your new man cave  ;D

STLstyle

Quote from: devo on December 28, 2013, 10:53:48 AM
Leave the big door open, get yourself a case of beer and a lawn chair and sit there and baby sit it. Welcome to your new man cave  ;D
X2.
If you like it, you'll be taking the next step...

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

TedEbear

Quote from: troutbug on December 28, 2013, 10:48:16 AMI want to smoke for the first time today but with the snow my only option is the garage

Well, there are other options:   :)

RedJada

Quote from: troutbug on December 28, 2013, 10:48:16 AM
Its snowing like crazy today and pretty cold, if a guy used his smoker in the garage im guessing the garage would fill up pretty quick with the smoke smell correct? I want to smoke for the first time today but with the snow my only option is the garage

Good advice here. I'm in the same boat. But looking at 50 degrees today but have some running to do so no time to smoke. But defiantly getting the BBQ going later. As far as the garage thing goes. Do it, Open garage door, place smoker at garage door opening and smoke away. If it's windy, pull the smoker a little more inside. Keep the man door open and you wont have smoke build up. Now, where did I put that lump at.... ;D

jjmoney

Just build a vent into your garage. I did a garage smoke the first time I smoked with my Bradley, and it was immediately apparent that it was a horrible idea. I bought a dryer vent penetration, an inline fan, and some ducting, and there has been no looking back, no issues.

wipf9994

Quote from: STLstyle on December 28, 2013, 11:00:27 AM

X2.

If you dont mind this ;D

hutcho

Quote from: STLstyle on December 28, 2013, 11:00:27 AM

X2.

What is that hood off of? Mind if I ask what it would cost?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Fireguy06

Wouldn't just taking 4inch round duct and attaching it to the top of the smoker and 90ing out the wall work as well just put a handle lover on the pipe so you can close it when not in use so that outside pests don't come in
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

STLstyle

Hood is a range hood I bought online.  $100 or so.  I stole the idea from another member.  Get one with a variable knob control.  I can get details if you want.

As for the 4'' pipe, I tried that first.  If you look at the picture you can still see my exit wound on my garage!  The black stove pipe looked great.  If you run it straight out the ceiling it would work perfect, but I did a 90 and went outside.  My garage faces south so the prevailing wind and the 90 prevented good flow.  Smoke was backing up in my generator.  No good.  Moisture was also a problem.  This setup works for me.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

wipf9994

Its a range hood u attach to a kitchen cabinet above the stove in ur kitchen. costs like $40 at
home depot

Fireguy06

4inch pipe with a inline fan do you think that would work
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

STLstyle

Not sure I do know the 90 caused problems with draw and moisture for me.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

Fireguy06

I guess if you would leave a small gap between the cabinet and vent pipe it would be just like using a range hood with lots less smoke escaping
OBS
Aubers single probe PID
Gas grill
Weber kettle grill
Traeger pellet grill

STLstyle

If you take a small piece of PVC you can place that between the range hood and the smoker...  Eliminates escaping smoke as well.

The problem with an enclosed pipe and a 90 degree turn besides draw is the moisture didn't make the turn resulting in it running back down the pipe and ultimately back in the cabinet.

Like I said before some members have a straight   run and don't have a problem but it was for me.

Let us know what you decide and take pics.  Good luck.

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod