• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Replace the Smoke generator or just go to the A-maze-en tube smoker?

Started by pjplovedog, January 05, 2014, 10:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjplovedog

Well, I've been struggling with my puck advancer the last two smokes.  On my pork butts, it would burn, and manually advance when I pushed the button just fine, but the automatic advance feature wasn't working at all, so I set my timer and ran out there to manually advance it every 20 minutes. 
After that, I took it apart, cleaned it well, and troubleshooted.  It started to work just fine, advancing the bisquettes again automatically.  So I throw in a load of cheese, give it 2 hours and every thing goes perfect!  Yay!  I think it's fixed. 
I took the cheese out and cranked up the cabinet temp to add in my brined chicken for a 2 hour smoke application.  Didn't think I'd need to check up on it again.  Lo, after one hour I go look and the auto-advance isn't functioning.  Again.  I manually press the button and it advances the puck.  Then 20 minutes later, same thing.  Why would it quit working right in the middle of the smoke? The burner works fine. 
I've been through all the troubleshooting on the two threads that are on this forum that address this, and it doesn't seem to solve the issue I have. 
So, looks like I have to buy a new generator. 
Or the other option is to forgoe the whole puck thing and get one of those tube smokers for a fraction of the cost.  I don't want to keep throwing good money after bad, seems there's no guarantee that the new generator wouldn't do the same thing. 
I got my smoker in August 2012.  I've had some great results but it's pretty temperamental.  Also had to repair the advance button right out of the box as it was getting stuck in the pushed in position and wasted a ton of bisquettes before I figured that one out. 
Any advice or thoughts?
THanks in advance
PJP

devo

I would suggest calling Brian at Bradley on Monday and tell him what you have gone through. He might have a idea to help you out. I said might, couldn't hurt to call. I would also tell him that you are thinking  of going the A-maze-en tube smoker route as your tired of fighting with the smoke generator. He just might be willing to send you a new SG even if your warranty has expired by a few months or maybe give you a discount on a new one. Again I say might.

Now if your dead set on buying the  A-maze-en tube smoker they work great, like you said at a fraction of the cost and pellets are a lot cheaper than pucks. Thats all I use in mine and don't think I will ever buy Bradley pucks again.

ragweed

Sounds like we've got twin smokers, pj.  I've tried everything too.  Today, it seems to be working just fine, but I can't trust it.  I'm looking at the tube smoker too.

pjplovedog

Quote from: devo on January 05, 2014, 11:00:47 AM
I would suggest calling Brian at Bradley on Monday and tell him what you have gone through. He might have a idea to help you out. I said might, couldn't hurt to call. I would also tell him that you are thinking  of going the A-maze-en tube smoker route as your tired of fighting with the smoke generator. He just might be willing to send you a new SG even if your warranty has expired by a few months or maybe give you a discount on a new one. Again I say might.

Now if your dead set on buying the  A-maze-en tube smoker they work great, like you said at a fraction of the cost and pellets are a lot cheaper than pucks. Thats all I use in mine and don't think I will ever buy Bradley pucks again.
You're right it is probably worth a conversation with Brian at Bradley, just to see.  I would hate to buy a new SG and have the same or other problems crop up.  I love my smoker, when it works, but at this point I consider it a very unreliable product, and I would never trust it unattended. 
Thanks for the feedback on the tube.
PJP

pjplovedog

Quote from: ragweed on January 05, 2014, 12:50:49 PM
Sounds like we've got twin smokers, pj.  I've tried everything too.  Today, it seems to be working just fine, but I can't trust it.  I'm looking at the tube smoker too.
How frustrating, right? At some point I was hoping I could throw that meat in the smoker and grab a nap while waiting for the next step, but NOOOO.  I have to check every 20 minutes. 
:(
I'll let you know what I find out after calling them. 
PJP

ragweed

Thanks.  Good luck.  I love my Bradley, but it makes it tough to do anything else when you have to check it every 20 min.

Saber 4

I've had a similar problem and did the whole SG cleaning process and it's working better but I'm calling tomorrow because I suspect the micro switch is going bad and want to get a new one sent out under warranty.

pjplovedog

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 05, 2014, 05:56:25 PM
I've had a similar problem and did the whole SG cleaning process and it's working better but I'm calling tomorrow because I suspect the micro switch is going bad and want to get a new one sent out under warranty.
Good you can catch that under warranty.  My warranty has expired, so I will still have a conversation with them, but might have to spend the bucks one way or another.  My concern is, if I have to replace/repair this or another issue every year or two, at some point does it make more sense for me to save my $$ up to buy a higher end smoker???  I am not sure what the next step up would be, or how much more reliable other, more pricey models would be, but I am really committed to my sausages, butts, hams, and bacons now....  :)
So one way or another, I guess I have to solve the problem!!!
Sigh.... addicted to the darn stuff.

Saber 4

For my needs I can see sticking with the Bradley for a long time, I figure there are going to be hiccups from time to time when you put electronics, heat and smoke together, but the advantages for me outweigh the disadvantages.

Thunder Fish

It's been a few years since I have been on this forum,still smoking food,just come here to read and learn,any way 8-9 years ago I took my non functioning generator apart,if I cycled it manually no problem but no auto.What I did do was in mid cycle pulled the plug on it and plugged it back in,the motor turned the other way and the micro switches made better contact,hundreds of pounds of tasty food later it is still working fine as far as cycling......... due to it's age it is blowing the GFI plug now.
I'll get to that later,can't find where the leak is coming from,might be in for a shock one day  ::)

Consooger

I'm having the same issues with mine as well. I have tried all the fixes as well and am having the same issues. I have the AMAZN products and use them as well. Much easier and cheaper to use however I will love my Bradley until she decides she doesn't want to work anymore.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Rad Rich

Sorry your having problems I have had my Bradley for over 4 years and I just bought my first part this week (power cord that I broke) have you taken the smoke generator apart and cleaned it? I have gone through 4 other smokers andi love the way that the Bradley extinguishes the pucks before the bitter gasses are released. Amazon pellet smoker is a lot cheaper but you have a lot of ash.  I figure it out to be about a dollar per hour to smoke on the Bradley. How many hours a month do you smoke?  I wish you luck but I would try to keep you smoke generator working.
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

Rad Rich

Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

Saber 4

I put in the new switch and everything is working good again. ;D

pjplovedog

I'll probably go ahead and order a new Smoke Generator.  Can't seem to find the Bradley customer service number anywhere. Can anybody point me to it?
I'm hoping the new generator will also come with a warranty in case....
Thanks
PJP