• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Natural Casings

Started by Bugnut, January 05, 2014, 11:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugnut

Has anyone purchased natural casings from the Syracuse Casing Co.?  Looking to buy a bunch and the place I usually purchase from the prices seem out of line.  Found the Syracuse Casing Co. and the prices seem fair.

Tenpoint5

You could also make a pilgrimage to Cabela's in Prairie Du chein (Sp) they have them in packages that are shelf stable
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Bugnut

I'm only about 45min away from Cablea's about the same distance to PS Seasonings. Looking for something other than the home paks. I have about 250 lbs of wieners and 300 lbs of snack sticks to make and perfer natural casings. Just wanted to see where other forum members are buying.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Bugnut on January 05, 2014, 11:59:51 AM
Has anyone purchased natural casings from the Syracuse Casing Co.?  Looking to buy a bunch and the place I usually purchase from the prices seem out of line.  Found the Syracuse Casing Co. and the prices seem fair.

Yes they are top shelf casings.

RedJada

Quote from: Bugnut on January 05, 2014, 12:48:35 PM
I'm only about 45min away from Cablea's about the same distance to PS Seasonings. Looking for something other than the home paks. I have about 250 lbs of wieners and 300 lbs of snack sticks to make and perfer natural casings. Just wanted to see where other forum members are buying.

Just completed my first sausage. I got my casings from my local meat market. I did have a hard time with them to start. Package is labeled as "home pak" White package....Sounding like there may be better?

Bugnut

Thanks NePa's, I'll give them a shot and post how they are.

I use Home Paks when doing small batch's out of my normal venison sausage making. They just don't have the consistency. Gotta keep all these deer hunters happy! lol

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

My friend get his casing from Syracuse Casing Company, and I also believe that Sausage Maker sells casing they purchase for Syracuse Casing Company. If you are purchasing by the hank, this is the place to get them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pjplovedog

Just reviving this older thread to comment on the Syracuse casing company casings.  I just made a batch of Italian with their pre-tubed hog casings and they are top notch casings.  Tender bite but with a good snap.  These are definitely not the same product that Sausagemaker sells.  The order came to me quickly, considering I am on the opposite side of the country, and the product is excellent.  I will be using them again. 

:)

Habanero Smoker

Though I haven't used the pre-tubed casings, I've never had any problems with Sausage Maker casing, and I have used casings from Syracuse Casing Company, both are excellent sources for casings.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Bugnut

I finally used my  Syracuse Casing Company pre-tubed casings. These are by far the best casing I've used. I stuffed 175#s of snack stick in 24/26 sheep casing without a blow out. Customer service is great as well.

pikeman_95

I have used this company many times with good product and fair prices.

http://www.spokanespice.com/products.php?page=3&secid=39&search=

Tim Sarver

I use butcher-packer.com for most of my supplies.  Their prices are in line and the products are awesome.  I love their german brat seasoning.

Skishy

Quote from: pikeman_95 on March 11, 2014, 09:21:47 PM
I have used this company many times with good product and fair prices.

http://www.spokanespice.com/products.php?page=3&secid=39&search=

Hey Pike, if you ever make it to Spokane, if you haven't gone, I would suggest making a point to go. Its one of my favorite places to go.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

pikeman_95

I have not ever stopped but it sounds like a good thing to do. I am sure I could find some good things and I know I could save some freight.
KC