Time to Restock the Cheese Fridge

Started by Saber 4, January 06, 2014, 06:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

Figured I needed to get started filling the fridge again after the holiday's emptied it and while we had a mild cold snap down here.

I wanted to see what the SG would do in the colder temps so I did 2 hours of pecan with an outside temp of 35 and I still ended up with an 88 degree cabinet temp before it was done.

All sealed up, labeled and ready to take a month long nap.

Of course when I got finished I realized that I hadn't done the 5lb block of Cooper that I wanted to get done, so I'll have to do that next batch. Hopefully I can do at least one big batch every payday till it starts to get to warm or I get my building and cold smoker setup.

ragweed

Nice start.  The color gets better with tower temps in the eighties, doesn't it.  I've got three batches "sleeping" myself.  Probably should do some more before the temps warm.

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on January 06, 2014, 07:06:57 PM
Nice start.  The color gets better with tower temps in the eighties, doesn't it.  I've got three batches "sleeping" myself.  Probably should do some more before the temps warm.

It sure does Joe, I think I will do half the Cooper with the SG and the other half with my new tube smoker and see what the difference is in color and smell.

tailfeathers

I'll be interested in seeing your results on that, Saber. I'm seriously considering ordering a pellet tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pz

My online cookbook: good food & friends

Tenpoint5

Sounds like you have another day of Cheese Smoking weather! You better make some more. You don't have nearly enough to make it till fall!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ragweed

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 06, 2014, 07:20:28 PM
Quote from: ragweed on January 06, 2014, 07:06:57 PM

It sure does Joe, I think I will do half the Cooper with the SG and the other half with my new tube smoker and see what the difference is in color and smell.

Looking forward to the results of your experiment too.  Just ordered a tube smoker.   ;D ;D

Saber 4

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 07, 2014, 07:06:52 AM
Sounds like you have another day of Cheese Smoking weather! You better make some more. You don't have nearly enough to make it till fall!

Tried to but couldn't find any good cheeses at our 2 grocery stores down here, will have to wait until Friday when I go up to Dallas, then I'll catch a cold morning early and get a couple of hours of smoke on it.

Saber 4

Went to Dallas yesterday and got to pick up a few cheeses to throw in with half of my Cooper Sharp.

Fired up the SG and gave it 2 hours of pecan, outside temp was 44 and I was at 87 for the first 1 1/2 hours then hit 92 until the last 10 minutes when it hit 102. I didn't have any cheesesickles but I did have a couple of leaning towers of swiss. On the counter to bloom.

Hope I didn't screw up, I usually bloom for an hour then into the fridge before vac sealing, but I got delayed and it bloomed for about 3 hours, it was cool enough that I'm not worried about the temp but the color sure did darken up a lot more than usual.

And of course the final bagged and tagged shot.

I'll do the other half of Cooper Sharp in a couple of days when we're supposed to have another 40 degree morning so I can compare temps with the AMZN Tube.

tailfeathers

Ordered a tube Tuesday should get it tomorrow. Or I would if I was home. Fishing trip!!! Now that I think about it I probably should've told my wife it was coming. Can't wait to get some pellets and try it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

ragweed

Boy, the color sure did intensify with the extra blooming time!  Looks great!   Can't wait to see the results of your AMAZEN experiment.

KyNola

You should see even more color with the tube smoker, at least I did.

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on January 10, 2014, 06:59:20 AM
You should see even more color with the tube smoker, at least I did.

Raining and in the 60's today, it's supposed to be 41 in the morning so I'm planning to try it then and see how it does, I'll try to take a picture out of the smoker and then bloom for the same 3 hours and see how it looks.

ragweed

My tube smoker just arrived.  If the weather keeps us from hunting tomorrow, I'll try it on some cheese.

STLstyle

I assume everyone bought the 12" tube? 

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo