• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Added a second element now a PID question

Started by renoman, January 07, 2014, 03:00:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renoman

Did the second element mod this afternoon. Nice little project. Took a couple of hours and I wired in a switch to turn off the second element if need be. I have a question though. Somewhere I read that you have to reprogram your Auber PID. Can someone explain?

rexster

This is on the Auber website. Straight from the horse's mouth. I'm not sure if you have to be a member or not to see the message, but it's free registration and more info on the Bradleys
http://www.auberins.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64&sid=d6b7606b0ceb9fd091205072440e01ed
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

renoman

And just how do you change the P value. I have to admit that the Auber PID manual is a steep learning curve. It is the most poorly written thing I have ever read. I wonder if they ever thought about who was actually buying these things.

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

rexster

Renoman, it took me a couple of months to really realize how the settings worked. One the light went off above my head and all was well. Stick with it............
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
Auber PID
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill

Tenpoint5

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we just have a big discussion on NOT needing a PID with the addition of a second element? That nothing would happen to your digital controls. Now your PUCK ADVANCE won't work right as noted in your other thread, and now your using a PID to try and circumvent the digital controller. I for one am totally lost here as to what we have accomplished or are trying to accomplish.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TedEbear

Quote from: renoman on January 07, 2014, 03:00:54 PMI have a question though. Somewhere I read that you have to reprogram your Auber PID. Can someone explain?

Which PID controller did you install?  I have the one that is installed in the SG.  When I added a second element I ran the autotune and let the PID configure itself for the new setup.

renoman

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 07, 2014, 09:27:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we just have a big discussion on NOT needing a PID with the addition of a second element? That nothing would happen to your digital controls. Now your PUCK ADVANCE won't work right as noted in your other thread, and now your using a PID to try and circumvent the digital controller. I for one am totally lost here as to what we have accomplished or are trying to accomplish.

I had ordered the PID prior to that discussion. I ordered it to CIRCUMVENT the TEMP SWINGS. My puck controller started acting up well before that. I just moved my smoker into my shop to install the second element and figure out what is wrong with the puck advancer. How can you be totally lost?

renoman

Quote from: TedEbear on January 08, 2014, 05:08:11 AM
Quote from: renoman on January 07, 2014, 03:00:54 PMI have a question though. Somewhere I read that you have to reprogram your Auber PID. Can someone explain?

Which PID controller did you install?  I have the one that is installed in the SG.  When I added a second element I ran the autotune and let the PID configure itself for the new setup.

I've got the single probe plug and play.

rexster

For me, I didn't run right out and ditch my Auber dual PID. You had someone stirring people up just for the fun of it or trying to make a point when there didn't need to be one. I followed the tried and true procedures for adding second element and PID and couldn't be happier.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
Auber PID
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill

renoman

Quote from: rexster on January 09, 2014, 12:54:54 PM

For me, I didn't run right out and ditch my Auber dual PID. You had someone stirring people up just for the fun of it or trying to make a point when there didn't need to be one. I followed the tried and true procedures for adding second element and PID and couldn't be happier.

X2

Tenpoint5

Quote from: rexster on January 09, 2014, 12:54:54 PM

I didn't have anyone stirring up trouble about doing a second element mod.  I am in  the if you add an element you add a PID group. I was just trying to figure out what's going on.  Renoman was a big supporter in that thread and even agreed to be the tester from what I remember. Then there's a post his puck advance doesn't work and another post about a PID to control everything. I was just confused as to was he trying to do. Run it without a PID. Then started using a PID when things went south. As an experiment that went wrong or what? Either way once you modify your Bradley your on your own no more warranty.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!