• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bradley Digital 6-rack DOA?

Started by manowell, January 07, 2014, 06:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manowell

My first Bradley arrived today; I have three buddies with them that recomended them highly.

Mine seems to be dead out of the box.  I followed the manual step by step, but the smoke unit won't turn on.  Checked cables, fuses, the outlets, etc.

I'll call them tomorrow; but any other ideas that don't involve taking apart a brand new unit?

Saber 4

Is it just the smoke side of the box or is it the smoke and oven that won't come on?

Does it make any noise when you plug it in?

Assuming you checked the circuit breaker to make sure it didn't trip when you say you checked outlets?

One of the plugs on the back of the smoke generator can be hard to fully seat, it will feel like it is then if you push a bit harder it will go in another 1/4" or so, this is a fairly common issue out of the box.

Hope it's something simple. Also it's really not that difficult to take the cover off and check the wire connections inside the smoke generator, if you turn it upside down and unscrew the outer perimeter screws only, then flip it over and ease the cover off, then you can check the connections.

Habanero Smoker

The below link, may be useful. It has may trouble shooting tips, and useful ideas on how to best use your Bradley. Even if it can't solve your particular problem, it will help you narrow down what the issue can be.

Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manowell

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 07, 2014, 07:17:40 PM
Is it just the smoke side of the box or is it the smoke and oven that won't come on?

Does it make any noise when you plug it in?

Assuming you checked the circuit breaker to make sure it didn't trip when you say you checked outlets?

One of the plugs on the back of the smoke generator can be hard to fully seat, it will feel like it is then if you push a bit harder it will go in another 1/4" or so, this is a fairly common issue out of the box.

Hope it's something simple. Also it's really not that difficult to take the cover off and check the wire connections inside the smoke generator, if you turn it upside down and unscrew the outer perimeter screws only, then flip it over and ease the cover off, then you can check the connections.

No lights, no display, no sound at all.  I didn't check the breaker, but plugged other items into the same outlet and they worked, moved the Bradley to another observed working opening on the same quad box with no effect.

Seated all wires two or three times after reading the FAQ.

I'll try to talk to Bradley today and then pull the cover.   I'm a little unhappy that that might be required on a new out of the box unit.  ::)

manowell

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 08, 2014, 02:18:00 AM
The below link, may be useful. It has may trouble shooting tips, and useful ideas on how to best use your Bradley. Even if it can't solve your particular problem, it will help you narrow down what the issue can be.

Bradley FAQ's

Yes, I read almost all of that before I posted.  I agree there's lots of good info in there.  Opened my eyes to what others are doing with these units, too.

Saber 4

Sorry that didn't help, I'm sure Bradley will take care of you.

manowell

I called Bradley Wednesday, they asked me to check for voltage at the place the jumper cord comes out of the generator.  I did so tonight, and there was voltage.

I opened the generator case as suggested here to check for loose wires, didn't see any.  Disconnected and reconnected all of the connectors anyway, then put it back together.

Still dead as the proverbial duck.

I mentioned this today to the guy at work who highly recommended it, and he said, "Oh, yeah, I remember now.  Mine was dead when I got it and they had to send me another one."

So, is this kind of common?

Saber 4

I suspect we hear about it more being on the forum, I can't imagine that they would be able to afford the great customer service if this happened on a larger scale than what we see here. I think we see a lot of people looking for solutions to their problems that we might never hear from if theirs were working fine. I'm sure others will disagree but this is just my opinion.

manowell

Dude!  You're INTO this!  :D

Saber 4

Quote from: manowell on January 09, 2014, 05:13:55 PM

Dude!  You're INTO this!  :D

For sure, I have the bug. Once you get yours working and start making your own bacon and some of the other great stuff people find to do around here you will probably get addicted to. I've started doing sausages, brining turkey's and such, baking easy crusty bread. I love to eat and this place gives me great ideas and they all work out good if I follow the advice of those that posted their methods.

manowell

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 09, 2014, 05:10:37 PM
I suspect we hear about it more being on the forum, I can't imagine that they would be able to afford the great customer service if this happened on a larger scale than what we see here. I think we see a lot of people looking for solutions to their problems that we might never hear from if theirs were working fine. I'm sure others will disagree but this is just my opinion.

I'm well aware of the "They're all defective" syndrom from other forums, namely a diesel truck forum that I frequent.  There tends to be an attitude that if ten guys have an issue, then all the trucks are about to fall apart or explode.  the 10,000 with NO issue don't write about them.  8)

Ok, I'll keep the faith and keep marching.

manowell

Sorry for the VERY delayed follow up on this thread.

Bradley shipped me a new power supply brick, after a somewhat challenging install due to the number and length of wires, I got it going.  Have smoked some beef, pork, and fish (trout and salmon) with decent results, going to start work on cheese (since it's cold) and hone in my skills and taste.

Thanks to all who responded.

Majik

One thing a friend of mine came across is the older style GFP plugs (ground fault protection) were not allowing needed amperage to his smoker...........could be the issue you are having also

tskeeter

Quote from: manowell on February 17, 2014, 08:36:56 AM
Sorry for the VERY delayed follow up on this thread.

Bradley shipped me a new power supply brick, after a somewhat challenging install due to the number and length of wires, I got it going.  Have smoked some beef, pork, and fish (trout and salmon) with decent results, going to start work on cheese (since it's cold) and hone in my skills and taste.

Thanks to all who responded.

Manowell, some unsolicited advice on smoking cheese.  If you taste the cheese shortly after taking it out of the smoker, it's likely to taste a bit like the bottom of a used ashtray.  For hard cheese, such as the sharp cheddar many folks smoke, a resting and aging period of about a month turns the cheese from old cigarettes to delicious.  Some forum members report that softer cheeses, such as mozzarella, require less aging to develop a tasty, smokey flavor. 

My practice is to keep a stash of smoked cheese in the fridge.  When my stash starts getting low, I do another smoke so the new batch will have time to rest before the older batch is gone.  The stash is also useful when a neighbor asks me to smoke some cheese for them.  I keep some of the cheese they provided for myself, and replace it with ready to eat cheese from my stash.