• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Buckboard bacon vs. regular bacon

Started by RexLan, January 12, 2014, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RexLan

My buckboard bacon is PDG when I thin slice it on the slicer and fry it.  I use tenderquick, brown sugar, black pepper and mustard.

However, it still seems to missing something that I can't get a handle on.

I wonder what is the "magic" ingredient or spice to add to the cure to give it a more conventional bacon flavor?  I tried Curleys bacon seasoning using ground meat and did not much care for it.  I can't seem to find any spice that will give a bacon flavor either.

Ideas?

Saber 4

Get you some Cure 1 and try 10.5's maple bacon recipe and I don't think you'll be disappointed, everyone I've given it to loves it.

RedJada

iceman

Quote from: RedJada on January 12, 2014, 01:18:12 PM
It's in the meat... ;D ;D ;D

Yup. Belly is different tasting than butt / shoulder. I'd try what saber says and use the side or belly meat. The fat makes it!  ;D

KyNola

You don't need to add an ingredient, you need to drop the mustard and black pepper.  Tenderquick and brown sugar will give you a very conventional bacon flavor.  It is the curing agent that gives it the bacon flavor you are seeking.  Perhaps let it cure a little longer than you have been would help as well.

ragweed

X2 on what KyNola said.  I just use tenderquick and brown sugar.  Cure for 6 days, then smoke.  Family loves it, tastes like bacon bacon to me!

Habanero Smoker

Though sodium nitrite is what creates that ham-like flavor, taste is subjective. As Saber4 and Iceman stated the two meats will produce different flavors, even if you cure both the exact same cure mix. I basically use the same cure mix on my buckboard (Cottage) bacon that I cure my Canadian bacon and they have very distinct flavors.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RexLan

Thanks for the answers.  I will try a batch without the pepper and mustard.

I cure mine for 10 days and then smoke it to 140°.  Slice very thin on the slicer.

cobra6223

Haven't tries bacon yet. Habs would share your Canadian Bacon recipe please? My wife is from Canada and loves the pee male( spelled very badly) it's the stuff with cornmeal on it but with out would be fine and could I talk you other guys out of the buckboard version? Thanks all and please post some pics

Habanero Smoker

I love pea meal bacon, and I've made it several times. I'm still trying to perfect a way to get more pea meal to stay on, like you see in the commercial pea meal bacon they sell.

Below are the links to my Canadian Bacon Recipe, and Phone Guy's Hillbilly (Buckboard or Cottage) Bacon recipes.
Canadian Bacon

Hillbilly Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cobra6223

Thanks Habs.... I really appreciate it. Tim