Cheese / Bloom

Started by UncleAl, January 12, 2014, 04:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleAl

I smoked a couple of blocks of cheese on Dec 20. I was just reading through Saber's cheese thread and letting the cheese bloom was mentioned a couple of times. I did not let the cheese bloom I put it in zip lock bags and in the fridge about 1/2 hour after pulling it out of the smoker. How is not letting the cheese bloom going to affect the taste? Should I toss the cheese and start over again?

Saber 4

Don't toss it, you let it bloom for 30 minutes if I understand what you posted correctly, I have always let mine sit for an hour then into the fridge to get cold/firm before I vacuum seal them, the last time I accidently left it out for 3 hours in a cool kitchen and I got a deeper color than I do at 1 hour. The bloom time allows the cheese to soak in the smoke and develop the color before you bag it up for it's long nap or short nap if you're like some of the folks who like it out of the smoker.

UncleAl

Thanks Saber you understood what I was trying to say. I just took a look at the cheese and it has the smoked look. I was afraid the taste would be off and since it was my 1st time just want to make sure it comes out tasting good.

Saber 4

I think you'll be happy with your results, next batch you do take a picture on a white background as soon as you bring it in from the smoker and then again at an hour and you should see a pretty good difference in color.

BoxcarBetts

I thought letting the cheese stay sealed for a month was "blooming."

I did a block of medium white cheddar and a smaller block of Monterey Jack on Dec 31st and I sealed them up pretty much right away after coming out of the smoker. Hopefully that's not a problem!

I nearly opened up the Jack today too, even though it's just shy of 2 weeks. I figure the Jack will be done a bit sooner being a softer cheese, but I think I'll wait for 3 weeks and 4 weeks for the cheddar. Any thoughts?

Here's the before and after (you can see it got a little hot for the Jack!):

They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

Saber 4

My understanding of the bloom for cheese and sausage is resting on the counter top before packaging and fridge/freezer, if I'm wrong or short on that someone will come along and correct it for us. Your cheese looks like it got plenty of color so I would think you will be fine, you can give it a rest on the next batch and see how it turns out. I would suggest that you start smoking some more soon while it's cool because as soon as you taste that cheese your going to end up eating it all and wishing for more which will then be another month out at that point.

tailfeathers

Quote from: Saber 4 on January 12, 2014, 06:53:25 PM
My understanding of the bloom for cheese and sausage is resting on the counter top before packaging and fridge/freezer, if I'm wrong or short on that someone will come along and correct it for us. Your cheese looks like it got plenty of color so I would think you will be fine, you can give it a rest on the next batch and see how it turns out. I would suggest that you start smoking some more soon while it's cool because as soon as you taste that cheese your going to end up eating it all and wishing for more which will then be another month out at that point.
Yep, he's right. That won't last long. Better get more cheese smoked sooner than later!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

BoxcarBetts

Haha Oh yeah, I'm well aware of a potential supply/demand issue! All the more reason to get my shack built ASAP!

Habanero Smoker

Blooming is air drying to develop more color, the term is generally used in sausage making.

I use the term Blooming Cheese as described in the below link;
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=33373.msg389523#msg389523

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BoxcarBetts

Just figured that I'd report that it's been 3 weeks and I cracked open the Monterey Jack. It's got a nice, mellow smokiness to it and good texture. Monterey Jack's not my favourite cheese, so along with the smoke, I might try peppering it a bit to give it a bit more kick next time. Can't wait to try the cheddar next week!

Saber 4

Glad it turned out good for you, it won't be long before you figure out what cheeses you need to smoke a bunch of. If you like the old Velveeta and Rotel's cheese dip, smoke you up a couple of blocks of Velveeta and after it's rested a couple of weeks mix up a big bowl of cheese dip you won't be disappointed.

BoxcarBetts

I'm not so sure we have Velveeta in Canada (at least it 'a not popular). But you got me thinking about dips that have cream cheese in it. Have you tried smoking cream cheese?

hutcho

Quote from: BoxcarBetts on January 21, 2014, 10:13:14 PM
I'm not so sure we have Velveeta in Canada (at least it 'a not popular). But you got me thinking about dips that have cream cheese in it. Have you tried smoking cream cheese?

Smoked cream cheese is good stuff!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: hutcho on January 22, 2014, 06:10:07 AM
Quote from: BoxcarBetts on January 21, 2014, 10:13:14 PM

Smoked cream cheese is good stuff!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

X2! I put a piece of parchment paper on top and bottom before putting in the smoker. The paper gives support for the soft cheese while on the racks and doesn't impede the absorption of smoke. I leave the paper on when vac packing also.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

BoxcarBetts

That's a good idea. Even my Monterey Jack started to sag through the grate, but I must admit, it gives the slices a cool shape when you cut it. Haha