Aloha from the Hawaii

Started by progun, January 23, 2014, 12:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

progun

Well, just sold my OBS and picked up the 4 rack digital. Have some temp problems and hopefully some here can give me a hand.  8)

Smoker John

Welcome aboard. Post what your issue may be & someone should have an answer for you.
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

beefmann

welcome aboard, could you  give a description of your  problem?

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

NorthShoreMN

Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

progun

posted this on the BTDS76 forum but will also post here. Appreciate the help!
"Picked up a BDS 4 rack, seasoned it and started my first smoke. Wanted 225 but at that temp best I could get was 204-218 with vent 3/4 way open. Increased temp to 230 and variance was 211-230, same vent setting. Listed temp readings were during and after the smoke portion.
did not use any extension cords and plug is rated @ 15 amps with nothing else on the plug. Was smoking a 6lb brisket and it turned out ok but am concerned about the temp variances.
I live in Hawaii and the temp on the day of the smoke was about 79 degrees but we some strong winds. Smoker located on my covered lanai (patio) protected on 2 sides. Suspect the wind is getting down the damper and causing a losss of heat. Suspect the smoke generator works in conjunction with the damper to provide the necessary "draft" and I protected it from the wind as best as possible. Was wondering if I took a 4' diameter piece of pvc to create a 3-4 foot "stack" with a cap that sits about an inch or so over the upper end of the stack, would that help prevent or lessen the effects of the wind on the temperature variances? If not how about a portable "wind screen to surround three sides of the entire smoker? Appreciate any ideas...."

Thanks again!

UncleAl

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, I saw you post in the other section but it gave me an error when I tried to reply to it, must have been a software glitch. I think the wind was probably your biggest issue, I know people have used stacks when putting their smoker in a cabinet or smoke shack. I would probably go with some type of wind block myself. I am in the vent wide open always camp so I would say open the vent up and see if that helps. If your temps are coming from the Bradley display they can be suspect due to the placement of the sensor on the back wall above the element and it can be affected by moisture evaporating off the meat your smoking. Also you will get temp swings with a stock Bradley just like you will in your house oven, that's why some people add a PID to tighten up their temp swings.

TNRockyraccoon

Welcome.

I'm rather new here myself but have found so much information here....good folks.