Corky's Cole Slaw

Started by Habanero Smoker, June 22, 2006, 08:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I spent the better part of the morning making Corky's Cole Slaw; a recipe posted by Sauce Bauce. It is on the recipe site. This is a good recipe. I made it using a one pound package of coleslaw (packaged shredded cabbage and carrots); and cut the recipe in half. I took Sauce's advise and cut down on the mayo. So while I cut the other ingredients in half, I only used 1/4 the suggested mayo (or 1/2 cup). Next time I'll add some horseradish.

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?p=219#post219

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

That looks good Hab. Sounds like it's not too sweet and has a bit of tang to it. :P

Habanero Smoker

Surprisingly, it was sweet, but not super sweet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Here's one you might like Hab. Something I tried at a catering that went over well.
    You could just use prepackaged slaw mix and add some spinach to make it easier.

Spinach Coleslaw

Serving Size  : 10    Preparation Time :0:45
Categories    : Salads

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  1/2      cup  mayonnaise
  1/2      cup  canola oil
  1/2      cup  white wine vinegar
  1/4      cup  sugar
  1 1/2    teaspoons  dry mustard
  1         teaspoon  kosher salt
  1/2      teaspoon  cayenne
  1         pound  cabbage -- shredded
  1/2      pound  red cabbage -- shredded
  1         each  carrot -- shredded
  1/2      each  green bell pepper -- diced
  6         ounces  spinach -- sliced

Mix all ingredients except cabbage, carrot, bell pepper and spinach.

Toss with cabbage, carrot etc. and let rest 30 minutes in the refrigerator
before serving.

Note: Use only enough dressing to coat the slaw to desired consistency. There will be some left over.

Description:
  "A light and tangy slaw that pairs well with smoked pork dishes"

Source:
  "Classics from Pats Place"

Oldman

Next time Mother makes her NON-mayonnaise cole slaw I will photo and give measurements.  It is a lip smacker.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Iceman,
I have copied it and will give a try.

Olds,
Your mother's recipe sounds interesting. I'll try that also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Hab; Thanks, you'll like it I'm sure.

Old's; Please do post that recipe for us. It sounds great. I just love trying new slaws. Now, if I just had a good kielbasa recipe to go with it. Ha! :D ;)

jaeger

Hey Iceman!
If you get a good kielbasa recipe, be sure to let us know!!!
Nothing like a great kielbasa recipe, right Olds, I mean right Iceman!!!

:o ;) :D

Oldman

QuoteOld's; Please do post that recipe for us. It sounds great. I just love trying new slaws.

Stay tuned in... I think Mother said this Sunday.  One thing is for sure since Mother moved in we are eating ALOT more stuff. The other night it was a fried cabbage and man o man was it ever good.

Heh he he, Mother cooks, Susan cleans, and I eat! Doesn't get any better than that!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

iceman

Quote from: Oldman on June 23, 2006, 04:48:40 AM
QuoteOld's; Please do post that recipe for us. It sounds great. I just love trying new slaws.

Stay tuned in... I think Mother said this Sunday.  One thing is for sure since Mother moved in we are eating ALOT more stuff. The other night it was a fried cabbage and man o man was it ever good.

Heh he he, Mother cooks, Susan cleans, and I eat! Doesn't get any better than that!
You lucky dog Old's!!! Can you spell "SPANDEX" Ha! :D :D :D

Habanero Smoker

SPANDEX :-[ Too revealing. How about over sized sweatpants. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MallardWacker

Quote from: Oldman on June 22, 2006, 03:07:47 PM
Next time Mother makes her NON-mayonnaise cole slaw I will photo and give measurements.  It is a lip smacker.

You can take that to the proverbial bank...Dang you Olds, you had to make me think about the Apple Cake.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

OmegaMan

I take about a tablespoon of grated red onion, add a pinch of sugar and ground jalepeno pepper to mine.  The red onion adds another level of flavor you wouldn't normally expect.

iceman

Quote from: OmegaMan on July 26, 2006, 07:46:24 PM
I take about a tablespoon of grated red onion, add a pinch of sugar and ground jalepeno pepper to mine.  The red onion adds another level of flavor you wouldn't normally expect.
Now that sounds real good. Just to raise it up one flavor notch is perfect. That is a must try.