• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Introduction

Started by King Salmon, February 01, 2014, 11:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Salmon

Hi

I am a newbie to this forum, having just purchased a new Bradley digital smoker. So far, I've cooked a whole chicken and a filet mignon steak (both came out great!). I live north of Seattle, about 30 miles. Today, we'll be watching the Superbowl, and I've been getting a 5 pound rack of ribs ready for smoking. I am using a rub I made myself:
1/4 Cup White Sugar                                      Ancho Chile Powder
1/8th Cup Brown Sugar                                  Chipotle Chile Powder
1/3rd Cup Kosher Salt                                    A bit of Cayenne
Black Pepper                                                   Fresh Chopped Rosemary
Ground Ginger                                                Fresh Sage

Rub on top and put in to Aluminum Foil and let sit 24 hours. I am using Bradley Hickory pucks, alternated with Whiskey Oak and Pecan.

I have had a Weber kettle Smoker and a L'il Chief Smoker for my salmon. (We caught about 14 this past season. Mostly Silvers and a few Kings.)

I don't know how long to actually smoke the ribs, I'm guessing at 210 degrees for about 8 to 10 hours. I'm not sure about the ribs I bought. They are marked "Tender Pork Ribs" and are packaged by Kroeger groceries. They look like they cut off one side of the ribs from the butt shoulder to the end of the rib cage, so the meat varies in thickness from one end to the other. I don't want to end up with cremated remains on one side with underdone on the thick parts, so I may cut the rack in half and cook on above the other in the smoker in case I have to take part out early.

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.  There's a method for ribs that a lot of folks here use called "3-2-1". (or some variation)  Three hours at ~220* F with smoke, then 2 hrs foiled with liquid (apple juice works) no smoke.  Then 1 hr uncovered with your favorite sauce.  I'm sure the true rib experts will be along to better guide you.

River Rat

Welcome, you gonna like it here. Great people and great info
River Rat
"Smoke On"

Salmonsmoker

Welcome to the forum King Salmon. Just a stone's throw south of you. Ragweed's got you covered. If they're baby back ribs, they take a little less time. Use 3-1-1 method. Use the bend test to check when ribs are done or a toothpick inserted between the ribs should slip in without resistance. The bend test -pick up the slab from each end and it should easily flex to the point where the meat between the ribs is just starting to tear. That's "bite off bone" done. If the ribs break apart it's "fall off bone" done
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Saber 4

King Salmon

Thanks for everybody's replay and info - when foiling, I am guessing that the apple juice is in a bowl near the heat source, not in the foil itself, is that right?

King Salmon

I found something new (at least it's new to me!) at Cabelas yesterday when I went to get more pucks. I've always had trouble getting turkeys and big roasts out of the over. These things are called "Bear Claws" and they look like. . . .  well, bear claws! One for each hand and they have 5 long and SHARP claws on each of them. If you don't use them for meat, they could make great personal protection weapons.

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: King Salmon on February 02, 2014, 11:51:28 AM
Thanks for everybody's replay and info - when foiling, I am guessing that the apple juice is in a bowl near the heat source, not in the foil itself, is that right?

Apple juice in the foil.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

beefmann

ragweed

Bear Claws.  They are great for making pulled pork!

TedEbear

Quote from: King Salmon on February 02, 2014, 11:58:24 AMThese things are called "Bear Claws" and they look like. . . .  well, bear claws! One for each hand and they have 5 long and SHARP claws on each of them. If you don't use them for meat, they could make great personal protection weapons.

I have a set of those that I bought mainly for pulling pork.  I had to smoke 3 butts for a picnic one time and my wife bought me a Ro-Man Pork Puller that does the job in less than 60 seconds.  I still have the Bear Claws for handling meat.

Another version of the above is called the Ultimate Pork Puller.  It supposedly will not clog as often and the price is a bit cheaper.

Saber 4

Quote from: TedEbear on February 02, 2014, 02:57:23 PM
Quote from: King Salmon on February 02, 2014, 11:58:24 AMThese things are called "Bear Claws" and they look like. . . .  well, bear claws! One for each hand and they have 5 long and SHARP claws on each of them. If you don't use them for meat, they could make great personal protection weapons.

I have a set of those that I bought mainly for pulling pork.  I had to smoke 3 butts for a picnic one time and my wife bought me a Ro-Man Pork Puller that does the job in less than 60 seconds.  I still have the Bear Claws for handling meat.

Another version of the above is called the Ultimate Pork Puller.  It supposedly will not clog as often and the price is a bit cheaper.

Now those are some serious pork terrorizing devices :D