Ham Jerky

Started by DTJ, February 04, 2014, 07:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTJ

I recently made pork jerky out of pork loin and it turned out great.  I found some spiral cut hams on clearance for less than .79 lb and was thinking about tossing in the dehydrator and having ham jerky.  I know this would have a different taste than jerky made from the pork loin.
Has anyone tried this??
Do you think it would work?
  I know jerky is not cooked and the ham pretty much is. It would not take as long since it is drier to start than using raw meat.  However I am thinking to, that it will get too dry and be really tough or kinda crumble.
Please share your thoughts

Thanks

Daryl

ragweed

Heck, I'd try it.  79 cents a lb vs almost $5.00/lb for a beef roast or nearly $4 for a pork loin (here in NE anyway)?  Whats to lose?  Season it up and go for it!!

KyNola

I'm with Joe, give it a shot.  Maybe just try a small amount to experiment with until you see if it works so you don't potentially ruin the entire ham.

DTJ

That is what I was thinking too.  What are opinions on  seasoning?  I did not really think about that yet.  Would it even need any?

tailfeathers

I've made lots of jerky out of ham. I use equal parts water, honey, molasses and teriyaki to which I add cayenne and white pepper to taste (hers not mine)! Slice your ham to desired size, soak overnight. Drain ham and spread on smoker racks, smoke 2 hrs at around 200. Be sure to rotate racks. Then you can either continue in the smoker until dried to your taste or move to a dehydrator to finish. I usually finish all my jerky in a dehydrator, less chance of screwing it up. At least in my case!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Heck my wife won't eat any other kind of jerky any more!

tailfeathers

had to get a pack out!!

DTJ

sounds great, thanks for the help!!

Saber 4

Who'd a thunk it????  :)