A few jerky questions.

Started by TNRockyraccoon, February 08, 2014, 02:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRockyraccoon

Hello wise jerky smokers. I'm about to make my first batch of jerky. I cured and seasoned last night. Now, 24 hours later I'm ready to put the Bradley to work....but still have a few questions.

Will two hours of smoke be about right? More or less?

Should I leave the drip pan empty since I'm trying to dry the meat out?

What's a good temperature for this procedure in the Bradley?

Happy to get any advice you all might offer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Saber 4

I would use water for the two hour smoke to put out the pucks as they're finished so you don't get an acrid smoke, then pull the bowl after the smoke is done.

150 is the most common temp I see recommended so you drying and not cooking the jerky.

If you have a dehydrator you can move the jerky to it after the smoke for a faster drying time.

I'm sure others will be along with their expertise, so go with what works best for you.

ragweed

Saber 4 has you covered.  That's the way I do mine.

tailfeathers

Same here. Whether I transfer it to the dehydrator depends on how close it is to being dried enough when the smoke is done. If it seems like it's fairly close (within a couple hours) I'll just leave in the smoker to finish. If it's still way to wet I dehydrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

TNRockyraccoon

Thanks guys.

That's what I figured with the water pan. I ended up doing 4 pucks and then removing the water.

I played hell on temperatures this evening. I sometimes had a 30 degree difference between top and bottom racks. So I erred on the side of caution and turned the temps up just to get the low end end of the scale over 150.

I must say I was expecting a little tighter temps with the PID and fan system. Then I got to thinking, I never retuned the PID after I installed the fan and drip guard over the fan. I'm sure they have to affect the temps since they are directly above the element. Im not sure if that's the problem but it can't hurt to retune just in case.

Oh yea.....the jerky came out fine. Taste good and looks right.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RAF128

Quote from: Saber 4 on February 08, 2014, 07:04:15 PM

If you have a dehydrator you can move the jerky to it after the smoke for a faster drying time.

Word of caution.  If you do this, don't do it in the house.   I did once and never heard the end of it.   Wife wasn't pleased.

Saber 4

Quote from: RAF128 on February 09, 2014, 02:58:48 AM

Word of caution.  If you do this, don't do it in the house.   I did once and never heard the end of it.   Wife wasn't pleased.

Good point mine loves the smell of smoke so I'm usually good to go, but I am moving all my smoking, jerky and sausage making out to a small portable building we don't have any other use for now.

pensrock

I dry mine in the house all the time, but then again I'm not married so I do not have to answer for my actions.  ;D
I do however have to clean up my own messes.  >:(

Snoopy

no different here, SWMBO won't touch the smoke stuff, that's always my clean up.

tailfeathers

Quote from: Snoopy on February 09, 2014, 07:03:56 PM
no different here, SWMBO won't touch the smoke stuff, that's always my clean up.
yup. Same here, but she doesn't mind the smoke odor so at least I can run the dehydrator indoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pikeman_95

Quote from: RAF128 on February 09, 2014, 02:58:48 AM

My wife also dose not like the heavy smoke smell in the house so I open both ends of a garbage sack and tape one open end to a window. I then set the dehydrator under the other open end. I then crack the window and the warm air form the dehydrator drafts out of the house. I works fairly well. You can still smell a little smoke but not nearly as strong as with out this set up.