• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need Some Electrical Advice

Started by tskeeter, February 21, 2014, 11:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskeeter

Got a two year old six rack with dual element mod.  Element in the original element position quit working.  Swapped out elements for new ones.  Element in the original position is still  not working (the other element works just fine).  Each of the elements is wired back to the plug.  They are not daisy chained as TedEBear's is.  So, I've got power to the plug and on to the add-on element.

Can you guys give me some kind of a check list of possible problems?

I know your first advice is going to be to slap a VOM on the element and test the continuity.  Sorry.  For some reason a VOM is just beyond me.  I'll start with swapping the element I know is working with the one that doesn't work.  But, once I'm past that, what do I check?

TedEbear

Well, if both elements are wired directly back to the plug on the back of the tower it kind of narrows it down as to what the problem could be.  If the second element works and the first one doesn't, then there is either a problem with one of the wires or the element is bad. 

If you don't want to use multimeter to test the element you can switch the wires that go to either element and see if the first element still does not work.

hutcho

Do you have a meter? We can help walk you through how to use it and check what you need to check.  I agree with ted though, sounds like bad wiring or element and swapping wiring is a good place to start.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

TedEbear

Is the original element wired through the inline fuse and high temp sensor that are located on the back of the tower?  Pics of each are shown below.  If it is and the second element is wired directly to the plug on the back then either the inline fuse or the high temp sensor is probably the problem.  You can test either one with a multimeter.  Is there a friend or neighbor who could help with that procedure?  It's a fairly easy test.  Who wired your dual element mod?

renoman

Quote from: TedEbear on February 21, 2014, 08:49:56 PM
Is the original element wired through the inline fuse and high temp sensor that are located on the back of the tower?  Pics of each are shown below.  If it is and the second element is wired directly to the plug on the back then either the inline fuse or the high temp sensor is probably the problem.  You can test either one with a multimeter.  Is there a friend or neighbor who could help with that procedure?  It's a fairly easy test.  Who wired your dual element mod?

I believe you have hit it on the head TedEbear

tskeeter

TedEbear, yes the original element is still running through the the original wiring, so through the fuse and temp sensor.  I think you're right.  The problem is either a wire between the plug and the element, the fuse, or the temp sensor.  I guess if it turns out to be a wire, I'll rewire using your daisy chain approach.

I wired the mod.  It's simple if you follow the information here.  As far as use a VOM goes,  I've never been able to wrap my head around exactly how they work.  I only need a VOM once every five or ten years, so I'd never remember how to use it from one time to the next.  And I've usually been able to get my brother, the electrician and electrical engineer, to give me a hand.  Unfortunately, this time, he's 1,900 miles away and won't be back in this part of the country for about a year.

Guys, thanks for your help.  Now that I know what to be looking for, I bet I can get both elements working again.

tskeeter

Well, finally got to working on the smoker over the weekend.  And got it working!  Just a bit more reassembly to do.

TedEbear, you had it diagnosed correctly.  Replaced the inline fuse assembly, gave it a quick test and everything looked OK.  Both elements glowing red.  That's for the help!

Looking at the wiring in the smoker, it made sense that one element would work and the other would not when the fuse failed.  The way I connected the second element (two wires into the spade connector on the back of the plug) the original element was fused, and the second element was not.  Since the heating elements are running off a PID, they would not be controlled by the high temp sensor that is connected to the smoke generator.  So, it wouldn't be a temp sensor problem.

Again, thanks, guys, for the coaching.  Having a good idea what to be looking for made the job a lot easier.