Can't get temp high enough

Started by willow58433, February 22, 2014, 02:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willow58433

I am using my digital 4 rack for the first time.  I just received it on Thurs.  I am trying to do a beef chuck roast(all I had).  Roast was thawed, rubbed and sat on counter one hour before placing in smoker.  Preheated smoker for 1 hour.  Temp got to 163.
Put roast in smoker and advanced a puck.  Temp rose to 191 and then the four hour smoke time ran out.  Smoker is in a 50 degree garage.  Read somewhere on this forum that top vent should be all the way open and when i did that it went down to 185.  Decided to add boiling water to pan and now temp is 143 and dropping.  There is 38 min left on cook timer.  What am I doing wrong?  Very frustrating

RedJada

My first thought was how big is the meat load. But seeing you doing a chuck roast it's cant be that big. I have an OBS so dont know too much about the digitals. But in the end, same concept. How were the temps when you seasoned the smoker? Next idea is where do you have it plunged into? If there are other things like a fridge, heater, etc.. running on the same circuit they will take away power from the smoker. A dedicated circuit is best. If using an extension cord, use a 12g min. and keep it short as possible. I use a 8ft, 10g extension cord and have no problems. Those are my ideas and I hope they help. Someone else will come along with better info. But on a side note, no since on wasting a good cook. If you cant get the IT you want in the smoker, just finish in the oven or grill.

GusRobin

Are you sure all your plugs are plugged firmly. I would unplug and replug.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

willow58433

I have nothing else plugged in on this circuit.  Not using ext. cord.  Seasoning went well tokk about 30 min to get to 150 and held.  Oven has now quit and am finishing roast in oven.  Godd thing my wife made chile for supper as a backup.  Will check all plugs and try again tomorrow.  Thanks for the help.

RedJada

Smoked chuck and chilli. You have a good thing going right there. Marriage made in heaven. Enjoy that and call Bradley on Monday. They will make sure you are good to go.

Saber 4

Also check and see if your if the element is glowing red when you check it out, you can also hit the timer buttons and add more time to the smoke generator and element if you need more time in future cooks.

willow58433

I tried everything you all told me to try.  Unplugged and plugged everything back in and sure enough it works like a champ.  All that was heating yesterday was the puck burner.  The element is now glowing red.  Heated to 200 degrees in just a few minutes.  Thanks for all the help and advise.

RedJada

Glad you got it figured out. Where are the photos of the chuck and chile?  ;D ;D ;D

Saber 4