Potato packets

Started by BostonBBQer, June 27, 2006, 11:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BostonBBQer

I'm thinking of taking a half dozen Yukon Gold potatoes, slicing them about 1/4 inch thick, tossing them with some evoo, fresh thyme and rosemary, salt and pepper, and whole garlic cloves, wrapping them in a couple foil packets, and putting them in the smoker for maybe four hours with my ribs. Does 4 hours sound like long enough to cook them through? I know they won't take on any smoke in the foil, but I won't need to heat up my oven :->

Thanks.

jaeger

Sounds like a good idea. I would think the potatoes would be done within 2 1/2 hours maybe 3 tops. If you shave off some time from the 4 hours and they are not done when the meat is done, you could give them a zap in the micro.
Let us know how they turn out!!!

BostonBBQer

So, I tried this and ended up having to put the potatoes uncovered into the oven to finish them up and give them a browning. If I had sliced them thinner, maybe 1/4 inch, as I had planned rather than the sloppy 1/2 inch that I did do, I may not have had to. But I'm happy they got the slow-cook treatment because the garlic cloves got nicely softened. All in all, worked out OK.

asa

Wonder what would have happened if you just put them in an oiled open pyrex dish, with one or two stirring/turns of the taters during the 4 hour period. Sounds like something I may try.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!