Smoked her

Started by Smokesmore, March 01, 2014, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokesmore

I smoked about 12 chunks of Cheddae, Mild Chedder, Sharp Chedder,  Extra Sharp Chedder,  Jalapeño and Red Pepper,  etc. They have been sitting in vacuum pack bags for two weeks. Asked my wife if she wanted to try it tonight and she did.  I told her she has much better taste then I do (and she did) ASHTRAY......  I fortunately can't smell but it tasted like crap to me as well. Sometimes there is a benefit to not being able to use your sense of smell. Do you guys think the cheese will be ready in 4 weeks?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Smokesmore

Quote from: Smokesmore on March 01, 2014, 09:22:47 PM
I smoked about 12 chunks of Cheddae, Mild Chedder, Sharp Chedder,  Extra Sharp Chedder,  Jalapeño and Red Pepper,  etc. They have been sitting in vacuum pack bags for two weeks. Asked my wife if she wanted to try it tonight and she did.  I told her she has much better taste then I do (and she did) ASHTRAY......  I fortunately can't smell but it tasted like crap to me as well. Sometimes there is a benefit to not being able to use your sense of smell. Do you guys think the cheese will be ready in 4 weeks?

TedEbear

How long did you smoke it and what flavor did you use?  Some flavors such as hickory and mesquite have a stronger flavor and might need to age a little longer.  Also, a harder cheese requires more time.  I'd say a minimum of 4 weeks on the Cheddar, longer is better.

We just started cutting into a batch of cheese that I smoked on 1/17/2014 with hickory pellets for 2:15.  I had some hot Pepper Jack last night and it was fabulous. 

ragweed

I smoke mostly provolone and lately Cooper.  Apple pucks only.  I find it's ready after 4 weeks, but those cheeses are on the soft side.

pokermeister

They all have you pointed in the right direction. After sampling every 2-3 days, it starts to convert at about 4 weeks. Soft cheeses like cream cheese and velveeta can be ready in 3, but much harder cheeses can take up to 5 weeks. Just be patient, and you will enjoy the results in a couple of weeks.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Smokesmore

I did 2 hours of hickory on first batch. I like a strong smoke but I think you guys are right. Patience...  here is my second batch with 2 hours of apple.

It was still blooming and by the time I vac packed it the color was a little better. So cold I had to turn the oven burner on and off to try and keep the box around 80°

pensrock

QuoteI smoke mostly provolone and lately Cooper.  Apple pucks only.  I find it's ready after 4 weeks, but those cheeses are on the soft side.
I think I got the Cooper train rolling now.  :D