• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Crawfish Sausage

Started by Tenpoint5, March 03, 2014, 07:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

As some of you guys know Nepas and I have been in discussions on developing a Crawfish Sausage. Rick went and added venison to his while I did not. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I WILL NOT GIVE OUT THE RECIPE! Those of you that know me know that when in Mad Scientist mode I won't share the recipe until I get it dialed in to a point that I don't think I can get it any better. At that point I will share. I'm not being ignorant, I just don't want someone to try the recipe and come back with a bunch of negative comments about something that isn't finished yet. I'm now happy with the turn out.

5lbs 80/20

12oz Salt Pork with the rind removed and diced

8 Tbsp Crawfish Boil and 1 Tbsp Slap Your Momma

The Meats

The Seasonings

All Mixed up

Test frying a small piece. After which I added more seasonings and mixed.

Frying up the leftovers from the stuffer

What it looks like after an hour at 130 degrees with no smoke and you open the door in -5 degree weather. I put this in to show the moisture loss when doing snack sticks. Which is about 25 percent of the green weight.

All done in the smoker. Time to go in and bloom. No Ice Bath for me

Blooming

Bloom is complete time to cut up

Ready for an overnight in the fridge inside a zip bag

I will say the flavor right out of the smoker is Awesome! However after an over night in the fridge the flavors really changed a lot. Adjustments are being noted and discussed.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mustangmoe

Nothing new here. Lots of recipes  on sites with the same results. Not saying yours are bad but this has been done lots on other sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pensrock

You taking them to the big easy to compare to Ricks and work out some ideas? I sure wish I could go with you guys, I know you are going to have a lot of fun.  :)

Sailor

Chris, You had me at Mad Scientist!  Keep us informed as to how the tweeks are coming.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Thompsoncentre

The look great!
Question for you, where do you buy your casing? You make a pile of them snack sticks so I assume you buy in bulk?

seemore

Looks so good . so whats the recipe ? ;)
Seemore

NePaSmoKer

cobra6223

Yup but gotta love it!! My only question Chris is..... where the heck do you buy those crawdads at because I know they aint commin from any creek!! lol We had a guy around here try to farm them but they never went over well so he stopped. Anyway other sites or not this is the only sute and they do look good.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Thompsoncentre on March 03, 2014, 01:21:36 PM
The look great!
Question for you, where do you buy your casing? You make a pile of them snack sticks so I assume you buy in bulk?

I buy the collagen stick casing by the caddy. When i do this i post to the forum if anyone wants to divvy them up. If so they tell me how many lengths they want and we figure the price, i then vac seal and ship to them. Of course some pick them up in person  ;D

I can get clear, smoked or mahogany in sizes 15-20mm. The caddies come boxed and vac sealed.

I may be buying another caddy soon and will post.

Tenpoint5

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Sailor

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 04, 2014, 08:10:30 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 04, 2014, 07:39:07 AM
I am getting low on 20mm

wanna try some 18mm?
Will the 18mm sleeve fit on the horn?  The 18mm that I got from Allied Kinco will not fit and I have to cut them to length to feed on the horn.  If they fit I will take some 18 mm  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Sailor on March 04, 2014, 08:58:59 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 04, 2014, 08:10:30 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 04, 2014, 07:39:07 AM
I am getting low on 20mm

wanna try some 18mm?
Will the 18mm sleeve fit on the horn?  The 18mm that I got from Allied Kinco will not fit and I have to cut them to length to feed on the horn.  If they fit I will take some 18 mm  ;D
That's the problem I am having. I'm just being lazy and not wanting to thread them on the horn. But if you have a surplus, I'll snag some from you in NOLA

Tenpoint5

Thompsoncentre

Would you send them to canada?