Smoked Spicy Ranch Pretzels

Started by seemore, March 03, 2014, 05:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

The recipe came through on our gas & electric bill last month! 
Mrs thought I would like them, which I did.  I decided to kick it up a notch by adding a little extra cayenne pepper to the original recipe, and throwing them in the smoker.  Here it is:

3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
3T (1 package) Ranch dressing mix
1 t garlic salt
1 1/2 t cayenne pepper (recipe calls for 1 t)
1 pound pretzels

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix the first four ingredients.  Add the pretzels and stir to coat.  Put the pretzels into a large baking pan (if you use a 9x13 pan, you will need two pans).  Bake for 25 minutes, stirring after 13 minutes.
(in the meantime, preheat the Bradley to 200 degrees)
Remove from oven and transfer to Bradley racks.  Put in preheated smoker using hickory pucks for one hour and 30 minutes.  If doing more than one rack, rotate (front to back, top to bottom, etc).

After that amount of time, remove the pretzels from the smoker and let cool.  DO NOT TRY THEM!  If you do, there will be none left to bag! :)

Seemore

NePaSmoKer

Bring these to NOLA next month  ;D

SiFumar

Thanks for the recipe! They look tasty!  Say hey to June!

seemore

Hi Sandy!!!!  Hope all is well with you and the hubby!  Give the little pup a big hug from Tasha!

June

Saber 4

You've done it again, now I have to go to the store. I bet that would make a great smoked chex mix seasoning as well.

iceman

Quote from: Saber 4 on March 06, 2014, 07:52:55 PM
You've done it again, now I have to go to the store. I bet that would make a great smoked chex mix seasoning as well.

That's what I'm talk'n bout!  ;D
That would put chex mix over the top.  :)

irish_smoker

I have made these twice already and planning to make them again this weekend by request.  Great idea seemore!  I have tried adding a little Canadian Steak seasoning and also Chicago Steak seasoning to it as well with great results.  Also have some homemade chipotle powder that I plan to try in place of the cayenne.

seemore

Irish, that sounds great!
Glad you liked the pretzels!  Who knew that a gas and electric bill could make so many people happy?
Please let me know how the pretzels taste with the chipotle powder, ok?
I use chipotle in a lot of my recipes, so I just might have to try this myself!
Seemore

irish_smoker

Chipotle was a great addition, highly recommend it.  Made a batch this weekend with it and also used pretzel rods instead of the mini twists....allowed for easier dipping (had some really good mustard and a Guinness beer cheese dip a friend made).

rpreston00

Just saw this and was inspired.  Made a batch, reducing the cayenne from 1 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon for the wifey.  Can still taste the heat.  Also added 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (since I somehow managed to pick up unsalted pretzels -  :) ).  Awesome snack.  Will definitely put this on the Sunday football snack list.  Thanks for the recipe.
I know it's been said before, but "Bacon Makes Everything Better"

Northern_Smoke

I saw this recipe and just had to try it so I stopped off at the grocery store and got the supplies. I used 2 tsp of cayenne pepper and they were hotter than I expected but not too hot. My whole family loves them. In fact I woke up this morning to find my kids eating them for breakfast lol. Thanks for sharing this recipe cause it's gonna be made more than once ;)
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

tailfeathers

Quote from: Northern_Smoke on May 11, 2014, 06:57:12 AM
I saw this recipe and just had to try it so I stopped off at the grocery store and got the supplies. I used 2 tsp of cayenne pepper and they were hotter than I expected but not too hot. My whole family loves them. In fact I woke up this morning to find my kids eating them for breakfast lol. Thanks for sharing this recipe cause it's gonna be made more than once ;)
Unusual breakfast, thats for sure. Hope they weren't washing them down with beer??!! :o
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

Northern_Smoke

[/quote]Unusual breakfast, thats for sure. Hope they weren't washing them down with beer??!! :o
[/quote]
Me too. They are only 7 and 10 lol
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.