Which Brisket to buy?

Started by rhodhse, June 28, 2006, 07:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Sam's and Super Walmarts do caring choice grade briskets. Now that they started this half-flat stuff, I may have to go elsewhere. :-\

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

So true Old's. If it doesn't have the choice stamp it's probably good for the pups or burger.

Hab, I just came from Sam's Club in Anchorage and they had whole briskets running in the 12 pound range. The guy in back told me they where going to carry both the flat and the whole from now on.

Habanero Smoker

It must be an area decision on what it store carries. Next time I go to Sam's I'm going to ask for the meat manager, and see if that Sam's will be doing the same.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

begolf25

I just did my first bristket this weekend and thanks to everyones help here it turned out great.

Habs, I also got my whole brisket at Sam's.  All they had out in front were a few flats so I asked the guy working the meat department and he brought me out a choice brisket from the back.

rhodhse

The brisket I used was select, and it came out perfect.  The point has around the same size fat cap, but a lot more connective tissue.  So chopping the point, or pulling it works.  The flat can be chopped, or sliced.

robs

I buy choice grade flats at Sam's Club almost every weekend. I have never had a bad one.

icerat4

yea i uses sams club too.Just a heads up if they do sell ya bad meat its a 200 % guarantee so free meat and your money back.That happen to me this weekend.I got a bad pack of ribs .Went back and walla free meat and money back.O and i did a brisket the olds method.And this one was great.Thanks olds for that recipe.It worked out great. ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...

asa

Someone told me that Costco has better beef because it is all choice grade, while Sams has some lower grade meat. Any truth to that? I haven't been to Sams for many years, and just joined Costco recently when I bought my BS.
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: asa on August 27, 2006, 02:54:06 PM
Someone told me that Costco has better beef because it is all choice grade, while Sams has some lower grade meat. Any truth to that? I haven't been to Sams for many years, and just joined Costco recently when I bought my BS.
I've only seen choice grade cuts at Sam's. I'm generally satisfied with their meat, poultry and fish. My only problem with Sam's in my area is that I cannot order a whole brisket.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

icerat4

Yes sams has choice meat.Not much but the brisket i had was awesome.And the 9 slabs of ribs i did holy cow beautiful the best yet.I am sending it down to florida where my dad lives.He loves this smoked food.I WILL be getting a smoker for xmas then i dont have to make and ship it down there  ;D

Just another weekend with the smoker...