• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Made some sausage this weekend.

Started by hutcho, March 09, 2014, 11:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

Breakfast sausage

Garlic and chaurice

Leftover chaurice from the stuffer fried up.

Quick question.   We like the chaurice ok but I think it would be better smoked, is there anyway to do it now or is it to late? I didnt add any cure since I planned on using it as fresh. 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

WoodlawnSmoker

They look great!  I think this is next weekend's project for me, can you share your recipe?  What size casing did you use?

watchdog56

If you wanted to take the sausage out of the casing and add the correct amount of cure then smoke it I would think that would be fine. I would add the cure and let it sit overnight in the frig though,just to make sure the cure works its way through the meat.

You definitely do NOT want to smoke it without cure unless you like getting sick.

hutcho

Yeah I figured as much.  :-\ oh well its good this way too.  Which recipe did you want? I made 3 different kinds lol

Tenpoint5

You can Hot smoke the sausage at a cabinet temp off 225 or better then finish on the grill. Or cold smoke then wrap in plastic wrap and over night in the fridge. DO NOT follow the normal smoking steps we talk about for finished sausages.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

hutcho

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 09, 2014, 05:26:15 PM
You can Hot smoke the sausage at a cabinet temp off 225 or better then finish on the grill. Or cold smoke then wrap in plastic wrap and over night in the fridge. DO NOT follow the normal smoking steps we talk about for finished sausages.

I was wondering if that would work.  I I got several packages so may try it on one and see how it turns out.  I would think at 225+ that they would be close to cooked by the time I get some smoke in there. But grilling would be an easy finish.   Thank you for the advice everyone.

hutcho

Cooked some of the garlic sausages up on the grill today, pretty good the piece I tried....will see what the fam thinks

hutcho

Quick question that doesn't warrant its own thread.  Can you emulsify meat without the kirby mixer or food processor?  The sausage book my dad sent said for franks to just run it through the grinder several times.

Saber 4

The more you grind with the small plates the more emulsified you will get, I remember reading somewhere about having to add ice at some point to keep it from melting the fat and causing problems. I'm sure the sausage experts will be along shortly to cover the A to Z's of emulsifying :)

Tenpoint5

refreeze the meat in between grindings and you wont need to add ice to it

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Saber 4

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 13, 2014, 06:11:14 PM

Thanks Chris, I wasn't sure if that was all he needed to do or not. ;)

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

hutcho

I forgot to mention that was in the instructions. Thanks for the help! And thank you saber too!

Is this an effective way to emulsify small batches say 5-15lbs? Or should I break down and get the kirby mixer?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: hutcho on March 14, 2014, 09:11:23 AM

I forgot to mention that was in the instructions. Thanks for the help! And thank you saber too!

Is this an effective way to emulsify small batches say 5-15lbs? Or should I break down and get the kirby mixer?

I use both. I use the Kirby for larger batches. Mostly it depends on my mood and how much time I have.