Stocking up on Cheese

Started by OntarioSmoke, March 10, 2014, 08:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OntarioSmoke

Hey Everyone,

Well I have now checked another box off the things to smoke list.  Finally went out and bought a stock pile of cheeses to smoke this past weekend.  I ended up splitting them into two batches, did one with apple and the other with maple and gave them each 2hrs of smoke.  Let it rest and bloom for an hour and half and then wiped them down and sealed them away to rest for at least 4-6 weeks.

Also call it what you like but I had a small piece of cheese fall off when I was packaging them and after debating and remembering all the terrible things I have heard about eating cheese right out of the smoker I decided that I had to try it for myself.  Not one of my best life decisions but I can now say for myself that it is not advised unless you have a cold beverage sitting there to wash it down with, might take two or three to get the taste out though.

Cheeses Smoked:  3 year aged white cheddar, mozzarella, Monterey Jack, Havarti, Jarlsberg, Gouda

Only had one after pic as the second didnt turn out.

Stockpile ready for the spare fridge

Smoke some

Nice job on the cheese.... Gouda is my favorite.

tailfeathers

Now, the waiting......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

pjplovedog

Nice job
I also picked up a bunch of cheeses at Costco last week for smoking.  I just have to get a dry weather window.....
Those cheeses look fabulous.  My last batch was a Colby Jack and a Sharp Cheddar.  The Cojack was ready first, after about 4 weeks,  the Sharp Cheddar I left in for an extra month though and it was splendid. 
Happy waiting!
:D

Saber 4

Looks great and it will definitely taste better in a month or so. You're going to want to do another batch in about 2-3 weeks so you won't run out. :)

tskeeter

Ontario, welcome to the "licked the ashtray" club.  Only takes once to learn patience is a virtue.

OntarioSmoke

Do I get a membership card or just the life lesson ;).

I knew as I was doing it that it was going to be bad and I couldn't resist when the small piece conveniently fell off, practically dropped right into my mouth.

Reminded me of a youtube video I saw a while ago, an older guy smoked a bunch of cheese and tasted it right away and then commented how terrible it was so he cut off all the outside pieces and then ate was left of it....... lil bit counter productive.

Grouperman941

Quote from: tskeeter on March 11, 2014, 02:57:12 PM
Ontario, welcome to the "licked the ashtray" club.  Only takes once to learn patience is a virtue.

As the president and one who enjoys that smoldering housefire flavor fresh out of the smoker, welcome to the club.

BTW, I just opened an extra-sharp cheddar that I had smoked and waxed 3 weeks before Christmas, the flavor is unbelievable. It is worth the wait.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

OntarioSmoke

Thanks,  I think I will hold off the 4-6 weeks before digging into my stock. 

Cape Coral eh?  I am heading down to Fort Myers on Friday for a quick escape and to knock some of the rust off my golf clubs before the spring/summer.... assuming that it ever comes this year.

OntarioSmoke

Opened up this batch of cheese yesterday, just started with the Havarti and it was absolutely phenomenal. 

The GF gave me some funny looks when I was prepping this batch and kept telling me how it was just to much and after trying her first piece yesterday I think she is hooked and is definitely thanking me for making as much as I did.

Needless to say she is already planning an elaborate weekend of taste testing the other varieties. 

tskeeter

Quote from: OntarioSmoke on April 08, 2014, 07:47:22 AM
Opened up this batch of cheese yesterday, just started with the Havarti and it was absolutely phenomenal. 

The GF gave me some funny looks when I was prepping this batch and kept telling me how it was just to much and after trying her first piece yesterday I think she is hooked and is definitely thanking me for making as much as I did.

Needless to say she is already planning an elaborate weekend of taste testing the other varieties.

I like that idea!  A little wine, some crackers, and some cheese from your lastest smoking and you've got a cheese tasting.  Throw in a few friends, and you've got a great party.