Gus' Marinara Sauce

Started by GusRobin, March 22, 2014, 06:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Decided to make a batch of Marinara sauce. I used an old family recipe that has been in the family at least 3-4 days. Actually much longer than that, but this time I made some adjustments.
Here are the players. I used a lot a small cans of tomatoes since they were on a buy 1 get 1 sale.

Here is everything mixed and simmering in the pot.

All cooked and put in jars ready for pressure canning.

Jars in the pressure cooker.

All done and cooling off before going in the pantry.

Taste tests indicate this is a good batch so the adjustments didn't screw up the family recipe.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Saber 4

I think you need a second opinion from Texas ;) :D ;D

GusRobin

Gus' Marinara Sauce makes about 11.5 pints      
1  medium size pork steak      
3 tbs olive oil      
6 tbs minced onions      
3 tsp minced garlic   
28 oz whole peeled tomatoes            
58 oz diced tomatoes            
24 oz tomato paste          
28 oz crushed tomatoes            
16 oz tomato sauce            
28 oz tomato puree            
5 chopped fresh basil leaves      
3.5 tbs dry oregano          
1 tbs dried basil         
1.5 tbs salt             
1 tsp black pepper         
1.5 tbl crushed red pepper            
1 pepperoni stick      
Pour olive oil in deep stock pot. Add pork steak and saute until brown. Remove pork and set it aside. Add onions and garlic and saute until translucent. Add more olive oil if needed.
Meanwhile drain tomatoes (both whole and diced) and set aside sauce. Pour tomatoes into the pot and saute for a few minutes. Add all tomato sauces, puree, and crushed tomatoes. Stir. Add basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper. Stir. Slice the pepperoni stick into 3 pieces. Add the pepperoni and pork steak to the sauce. Bring sauce to a boil  then turn it down and  simmer for about 5 hours stirring occasionally. Remove pepperoni and pork steak. Put sauce in jars --either pressure can or refrigerate.               

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

SiFumar

Thanks for recipe Gus!  Sauce looks amazing!  What kind of pressure canner do you have?  Been meaning to get one...just haven't had spare time in between my spare time.  :D

RedJada

Looks yummy. Going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Dano

Looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing!
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

GusRobin

Quote from: SiFumar on March 22, 2014, 10:35:12 PM
Thanks for recipe Gus!  Sauce looks amazing!  What kind of pressure canner do you have?  Been meaning to get one...just haven't had spare time in between my spare time.  :D

I have a Presto

SiFumar

Thank Gus!  Even if I don't get a canner I will be trying this!