• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Polish sausage too salty - can they be saved?

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, March 23, 2014, 10:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

I made up a small batch of some Polish sausage yesterday, smoked and cooked them in the Bradley.  Everything about them is perfect, consistency, moisture, overall taste, but they are too darned salty.  Is it possible to save them somehow, boiling perhaps?  Just a thought, it would be a shame to waste.

RedJada

Good idea to taste before stuffing so you can make adjustments then. Maybe use them in a gumbo or something like that?

WoodlawnSmoker

Yeah, lesson learned about tasting first.  The gumbo is a good idea.

pensrock

I think if you boiled them when cooking and added a couple cut up potatoes it would help. Potatoes will attract salt. Or like stated before, use them in other dishes.

pjplovedog

I have had something similar happen, and I used them finely diced to add flavor to cooked bean dishes, soups, chili, as a mix-in to flavor a lot of different dishes sort of as a flavoring/seasoning.  Just watch the salt in the rest of the dish, and it can work out well. 
I found when I cooked them in something, the salt level really evened out quite a lot. 
:

pikeman_95

I like to take on of my smoked sausages and put it in a food processor with a can of low sodium mushroom soup and blend it until everything is mush. Now use it to make up the base for a batch of scalloped potatoes. The smoked flavor is just fantastic and make some great potatoes.

tskeeter

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on March 23, 2014, 10:01:41 AM
I made up a small batch of some Polish sausage yesterday, smoked and cooked them in the Bradley.  Everything about them is perfect, consistency, moisture, overall taste, but they are too darned salty.  Is it possible to save them somehow, boiling perhaps?  Just a thought, it would be a shame to waste.

It's not a mistake.  It's an opportunity to explore some other culinary experiences!

rajzer

When you first taste a freshly smoked sausage, it always seems to taste more salty. Usually after 2 days, all the other flavours come through and temper the salt taste.  Did you use more than 2% salt?