• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What is the best way to improve temp control

Started by Smokey Ty, March 24, 2014, 10:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey Ty

I have the 4 rack standard unit and would like to understand the different ways people have moded their smokers to get a better grasp on temp control. 
Learning the art of Smoke

CoreyMac

I have a 4Rack digital and I just installed a dual probe PID from Aubrins. I used to get 20deg or more temp swings and now its within 1 deg. Pretty amazing how well it works. I just have a stock smoker (1 element and no fan).

Corey

tskeeter

Common techniques include:

Increase thermal mass in the smoker.  Place a couple of foil wrapped bricks in the smoker.

Use hot water in spent puck bowl.

Use PID to avoid temperature overrun/underun, rather than stock temperature control system.

Note that many forum members find that the stock temperature control system meets their needs very well.  However, there are some products that benefit from the 2F +/- control provided by a PID.  These items are temperature sensitive products such as cheese, sausage, and fish.  Other products, such as pulled pork, ribs, brisket, Canadian Bacon, nuts, salt, etc. seem to do just fine with the stock control system.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Smokey Ty;

Welcome to the forum.

The below link list some common mods for the Bradley.
User Modifications

This link below will answer many questions;
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: Smokey Ty on March 24, 2014, 10:47:17 AM
I have the 4 rack standard unit and would like to understand the different ways people have moded their smokers to get a better grasp on temp control.

I installed a $45 PID controller in my SG.  It keeps the chamber temp to within 1-2 degrees.  There's a how-to article on doing it if you're interested.

DASFREAK

Which PID dod you go with and were can you find the install steps?

TedEbear

Quote from: DASFREAK on April 21, 2014, 08:30:39 AM
Which PID dod you go with and were can you find the install steps?

I used an Auber SYL-2352 PID.  The installation instructions are on the Bradley user recipe site.

PID Controller Installation

Smokey Ty

Quote from: TedEbear on March 25, 2014, 04:49:39 AM
Quote from: Smokey Ty on March 24, 2014, 10:47:17 AM

I installed a $45 PID controller in my SG.  It keeps the chamber temp to within 1-2 degrees.  There's a how-to article on doing it if you're interested.

I have my PID in hand.  Do you use yours just in the manual mode or do you program it?  If so do you know where I can find instructions?  Wanting to do some fish and the recipe calls for temp changes.

TedEbear

Quote from: Smokey Ty on April 21, 2014, 10:10:53 AM
I have my PID in hand.  Do you use yours just in the manual mode or do you program it?  If so do you know where I can find instructions?  Wanting to do some fish and the recipe calls for temp changes.

Do you have one of the stand-alone PIDs or one that you install in a box?  All I do with mine is use it for maintaining the setpoint temp.  After I installed it I ran the autotune and let it set up its own parameters.  The only thing I occasionally ever change on it is the setpoint.

These links may help if you have the plug and play PID:

Auber Plug & Play PIDs - Single/Dual Probes

Auber PID Step Programming

Smokey Ty

Thanks. I purchased the box. Wanted to save a little.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

beefmann

stevep

I've had temperature problems with the 6 rack digital and already ruined a few loads of fish, this time I put a temperature gauge inside and to get to 140 I had to go clear up to 200 degrees on the temp control and the digital temp gauge reads 200. with my old standard bradley I would be done in half the time.

stevep

You guys have to add a different controller, bricks and hot water? to fix Bradleys problem? What a bummer, just ruined another load of fish, under or overcooked and terrible, I sure screwed up buying a digital smoker. The manual one works great, I hate to waste food, (3 tries now) and this really pisses me off. I won't be taking a chance on screwing up my precious fish again by using the digital one. I trusted Bradley was a good product, boy did I screw up.

meyer lemon

As a newbie too, the PID is the way to go.  There is a great tutorial on set-up and programming from GusRobin.
I simplified my set-up using the PID to control temp and controlling smoke with digital.  The learning curve is filled
with edible delights.   

tskeeter

Quote from: stevep on April 25, 2014, 05:32:15 PM
I've had temperature problems with the 6 rack digital and already ruined a few loads of fish, this time I put a temperature gauge inside and to get to 140 I had to go clear up to 200 degrees on the temp control and the digital temp gauge reads 200. with my old standard bradley I would be done in half the time.

Steve,  the temperature variation you got is more than I've seen reported before.  Where are you measuring your temperature?  Given that your six rack cabinet is quite a bit larger than your old smoker, I suspect that the six rack has more of a tendency to be cooler near the top of the smoker than on the lower racks.

You talk about ruining fish.  Over cooking?  Undercooking?  Taking so excessively long to cook that it's all dried out?  While I'm not a fish expert, I've done fish a few times quite successfully in my six rack, so might be able to help figure out if you've got a bad smoker, or if the change in cabinet size is going to require an adjustment in your technique.

By the way, do you know where the temp sensor in your old smoker was?  The sensor in your six rack is in the back wall about half way up the smoker.  If the temp sensor placement is different, could the six rack be giving you different readings than you are used to getting with your old smoker?