• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

NFDM

Started by hutcho, March 24, 2014, 03:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutcho

Where is the best place to buy this?  Will the stuff from Walmart suffice?  I read in Ryteks' book to get it from the dairy but not sure where one is near me....:-\

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Enid

I cant see their being any difference. The only thing I've noticed is the store bought is not ground into a fine powder.

hutcho

Pretty sure thats what he says to use...:/

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: hutcho on March 24, 2014, 03:06:45 PM
Where is the best place to buy this?  Will the stuff from Walmart suffice?  I read in Ryteks' book to get it from the dairy but not sure where one is near me....:-\

Regular carnation NFPDM. If you need it finer just use a mill or if you dont have that ,put it in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin.

hutcho

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 24, 2014, 04:44:49 PM
Quote from: hutcho on March 24, 2014, 03:06:45 PM

Regular carnation NFPDM. If you need it finer just use a mill or if you dont have that ,put it in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin.

Thanks nepas!

Saber 4

Back when Rytek wrote his book the local dairy was probably one of the only places to find it consistently. ;)

hutcho

Which do you guys prefer nfpdm or soy?

NePaSmoKer

I have used both with many applications and they both work well. nfpdm is easier to get than spc.

NON-FAT DRY MILK - Milk powder has been used for years in sausage making. Acts as a binder by helping to retain the moisture of the meat. Although not highly effective as a binder, it can impart a creamier taste to some sausage products. You can use up to 12% (of the meat weight) without affecting the taste of the sausage. This product is good at hiding salt flavor in most sausage and is used in liver sausage, hot dogs and bologna.

Most Additives used in sausage & jerky making are not spices and do not do necessarily "Season The Meat". They usually perform a function such as retaining color or moisture. They can also protect meat from bacteria while smoking or drying. However, some additives such as cures do affect taste and color to a degree. Always follow the directions provided and do not add more than directed.
Additives are also used to improve food by:

Improving the keeping quality of a food by making it last longer on the shelf or in the fridge - Cures are used, for example, prevent the growth of bacteria. Binders are used to stop food from drying out.

Improving to the taste and the appearance of foods by using enhancing flavors and colors.

Another benefit of food additives is that consumers can be offered a wider choice of foods. Many processed foods contain additives. Some common examples are bacon, margarine, ice cream and bread.
Many food additives occur naturally, such as red color from beetroot (Beet red), and purple
color from grape skins (anthocyanins). These colors can be extracted and added to foods. Some food additives found in
nature can be manufactured, for example, ascorbic acid. Other additives are manufactured but not found in nature, such
as aspartame, which is used to replace sugar.

BINDERS - Also known as Soy, Soy Protein Concentrate, Soy Flour, Soy Grits, Soy Protein Isolate - All soy products have a high protein value. This gives soy its binding capability, allowing you to add water (called added water) to your sausage for a moister product. These ingredients are used to prevent weight loss and shrinkage to products being processed in the smokehouse, by helping to retain the natural juices (called bound moisture) in the meat. This product also helps to bind the sausage together and can be used in meat products such as burgers to retain the natural juices from cooking out. Although not generally used in fresh sausages it may be added with good results. You should use the following ratios:
Smoked products Use binder up to 5% of the meat weight.
Fresh products Use binder up to 3% of the meat weight.
Sausage binder weighs out at about 4 oz. per cup so 4 cups would equal about one lb.
Soy grits are used in patties and products like Hamburger HelperĀ®.
Soy protein concentrate is made from the refining process of soy beans
These binders are ineffective for the most part

hutcho

Is that out of Rytek's book? Looks familiar...

Anyway.  I orderd some of the soy isolate from TSM to try out with my next batch.   I may get some nfpdm to compare also.  Thank you for the help everyone!