My first cheese

Started by blokie, March 30, 2014, 05:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blokie

My first ever smoked anything.
2 blocks of Armstrong old cheddar cut on half, and a couple of baby bell's thrown in for good measure.
2 hours of smoke  at about 70 f.
The result was it tasted as good as the Costco smoked cheddar right out of the smoker, should only get better with age.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Saber 4

That is some good looking cheese, better start another batch soon, that will go fast.

blokie

Ha, that's funny you should say that, I thought it was enough, but by the time everybody had some it was half gone. Some more will be done today.

tskeeter

Saber is on track.  I keep a stash of ready to consume cheese in the fridge.  A couple of months before it looks like I'm likely to run low, I run through the next batch of cheese.  By the time my new batch has aged for 30 days or so, the old batch is almost gone.

I find that keeping a stash also allows me to accommodate friends and neighbors who ask that I smoke some cheese for them.  I replace part of the cheese they provide with part of my stash.  That way they have ready to eat nibbles while the newly smoked cheese is aging.  I'm sure that even though they don't know any better, they appreciate avoiding that "licked the ashtray" experience that often comes with eating cheese too soon after smoking.

Indy Smoker

I wrap and let rest for 2 weeks then dip into cheese wax for 2 layers. Gets even better with age and makes for an awesome presentation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blokie

I'm not getting the "licked the ashtray" experience even though I've eaten it within days of smoking. I can imagine what the 2 I vacuum packed are going to taste like in a month or so. I personally can't see the making it that long.

Smoker John

Cheese looks good, looking forward to smoking some myself
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

blokie

Here's my second batch.

Here's Bosco guarding the smoker.

The contents. Old cheddar, extra old cheddar,  edam and havarti. 

SiFumar

All looking good!  Keep it going!

RedJada

Looks like Bosco has it figured out.

Salmonsmoker

Blokie,
FYI, if you make your blocks of cheese a max. of 2" thick you'll get better and more even smoke penetration.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

WoodlawnSmoker

Looks really good, the waiting is the hardest part.