Digital smoker

Started by Ken C., March 31, 2014, 01:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthShoreMN

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on April 04, 2014, 08:43:10 AM
Maybe you need to address Bradley directly instead of negativity on their forum? Stuff like this will get our forum shut down

IMHO 95% of the hassles are from users not knowing how the Bradley operates.
I have had mine for several years , not modified, and other than not being able to get to it this winter have used it winter and summer.  For low and slow I love it. 
If I want hot and fast I use a smoke hollow gas or BGE.
Bradley 6 digital, Bradley BCS, TSM 20 stainless, Masterbuilt 30 with cold smoke attachment, BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Q2200,Homemade grill on trailer

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever." Mahatma Gandhi

CoreyMac

Maybe you need to address Bradley directly instead of negativity on their forum? Stuff like this will get our forum shut down

I agree completely with this. It seems to be an all too familiar thing lately. People complaining about how bad the Smokers are but they are asking them to work in very adverse conditions or do something that they are just not designed to do. IMHO if a person is having re-occurring issues with a product, in all due respect, maybe that person should look a little closer at their methods before condeming the product.

Long live my Bradley digital 4 rack ;D

Corey

Tenpoint5

I have had a 4 rack since 07 which I traded for a 6 rack last year. Never had any issues with it. have had a 6 rack now for a couple years, No Issues.

What folks fail to take into consideration is your basically cooking with a 500 watt light bulb. It's not going to heat up to 250 degrees in 10 minutes with a 10 pound 34 degree boston butt being thrown in there.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Maximus1959

Quote from: KyNola on April 04, 2014, 08:04:21 AM
Quote from: Maximus1959 on April 04, 2014, 02:05:34 AM
Smoker #1
Mid Oct 2013 - Died during the 6th time using it. Exchanged at Cabela's for another. 6 rack

Smoker #2
Mid January 2014 - Died during the 3rd time using it. Bradley sent me another one for free. 6 rack

Smoker #3
Received it in March 2014 - I have used it twice. 6 rack

Personally; I would never purchase another Bradley product. I live in Washington State (Seattle area). I believe the moisture (rain) is a major factor when using a Bradley. I cook in my garage with the garage door half open. It is the only way I can use it. When I cook outside on a clear day (no rain 45-65 degrees outside temp); the Seattle moisture in the air affects the smoker performance. I find my units cannot reach temperature. Cook times take way to long. Something that should take 8 hours in Texas, will take 14-16 hours where I live. I have read too many negative comments about Bradley units on this forum. If I am spending $600 plus the cost of the consumables; I should not have to add heating elements, etc. I feel like I should be able to cook with confidence and feel like my unit is reliable. These units are incredibly sensitive. I thought the Bradley was designed as a simple solution to produce good quality smoked food, with little hassle. IMO- These units are a total hassle to use, and need constant monitoring and cooking technique.

I'm going to sell my on Craigslist and buy a Traeger by Summer. If anyone is interested in purchasing mine; please give send me a message. I think their CRAP!
I'm sorry that you had trouble with your Bradley smoker and I guess I can understand why you think they're crap but in fairness and full disclosure, isn't smoker #2 the one that you had a grease fire in, burned up the interior, melted the door seal, ruined your beef tenderloin and Bradley promptly replaced your smoker for you?

That is correct. They have OUTSTANDING customer service. Regardless of that; I have to be honest about what I think of the product itself. I am very grateful for them replacing it. Again; I still need to be fair and tell the negatives. It would not be right to praise their products, when I am on my third six rack smoker since Oct 2013. I think I am being fair.

Maximus1959

A couple of things to remember...

If you are a business owner; you WANT your customers to tell you what you can do better. If you don't know; then nothing will get done to fix the issue. Clearly Bradley (6 rack) has issues. It is not like I am the only guy on this forum reporting issues with the 6 rack. And I have been incredibly FAIR to them. I have made it a point to PRAISE them for what they do well (i.e Excellent customer service). But I also point out the things, such as the 6 rack being a bad product, which myself and many others feel it needs drastic improvements.

As far as operator error...
I have followed their recipes, suggested cooking times, etc. No where did I read to expect my unit to NOT reach the suggested cooking temperature. We could go into a number of issues that are outside of the operators control.

I opened my smoker cabinet and found a pile of smoker pucks, from the feeder constantly feeding them. That is outside of the operators control.

I came out to check on the status of my cooking and found the unit with an ERROR message on the digital box. That was outside of the operators control.

I realize their is technique involved when using the Bradley. I think I have given them a fair shake (6 months) try at my expense. Most consumers would have returned their unit for their money back within the first 30-60 days.

To be FAIR....when it did work, the food was awesome.

Maximus1959

Quote from: CoreyMac on April 04, 2014, 08:50:56 AM

I agree completely with this. It seems to be an all too familiar thing lately. People complaining about how bad the Smokers are but they are asking them to work in very adverse conditions or do something that they are just not designed to do. IMHO if a person is having re-occurring issues with a product, in all due respect, maybe that person should look a little closer at their methods before condeming the product.

Long live my Bradley digital 4 rack ;D

Corey

I couldn't disagree more. It not like I put mine out in a rainstorm, started it, and walked away. I am no different then anyone else on here. I follow Pachanga, H. Smoker, and Saber comments and cooking techniques to a "T". I think I have given Bradley a fair shot. I have used their products for 6 months, and I am on my third smoker since Oct. 2013. Most consumers would have wrote them off, long ago. Keep in mind; they are arguably the most expensive smoker on the market. Generally speaking; you get what you pay for. I don't feel I have gotten what I paid for.

There is NO reason their products shouldn't work in 45-65 degree weather with moisture in the air. That is typical Seattle weather. If you put it out in a snow storm, then of course the probability of failure is likely.

If only a few people are complaining, then I would agree with you. How many "topics" on this forum are started monthly about issues with Bradley products? I would guess at least 1-3 per month. And think about how many people have issues that don't even go on this forum. Think about how many are returned from issues that are never reported on this forum.

If they want to get better; there is no reason why they should NOT welcome my feedback. It is not like I am railroading their company. I also PRAISED them for things they do well as previously stated.

Maximus1959

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 04, 2014, 08:50:05 PM
I have had a 4 rack since 07 which I traded for a 6 rack last year. Never had any issues with it. have had a 6 rack now for a couple years, No Issues.

What folks fail to take into consideration is your basically cooking with a 500 watt light bulb. It's not going to heat up to 250 degrees in 10 minutes with a 10 pound 34 degree boston butt being thrown in there.

4 rack is a MUCH better product than the 6 rack IMO. I have read far less negative comments about the 4 rack. I think most people are smart enough to realize it takes awhile to heat up. The issue is....how many people have complained about their units NEVER reaching the suggested cooking temperature?

They were forced to take something that should have taken 8 hours to cook and turned it into a 14 hour cooking fiasco. Or they pulled it and finished it off in their oven. If Bradley suggests an 8 hour cooking time at 225 degrees. I EXPECT it to take 8 hours and reach their suggested 225 degree temperature. And I EXPECT my unit to not over feed pucks, shutdown with error messages, etc.

I think I am being fair considering I PAID dearly for my unit at Cabela's. It is the most expensive unit Cabela's offers in my area. Again; typically the most expensive products are the best products; generally speaking.

If you buy a Cadillac Escalade, Range Rover, etc. you are getting a much better SUV than a GMC Arcadia. Maybe the Arcadia lasts just as long? but the overall driving experience is much better in a Range Rover than an Arcadia.

Same should go for smokers. A "Little Chief" can smoke food. But a Bradley can smoke food too, with an array of cooking control, etc.