• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Had a go at some hot dogs today

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, April 06, 2014, 01:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

This was a fun project for sure.  I had some irritations but nothing serious.  I tried Kutas' recipe but I used more pork than beef, that's one thing I'll change next time, bump up the beef content, about 6.5 pounds total.

I ground them first, mixed in the spices then emulsified in the food processor,  I probably didn't emulsify quite enough but I'll nail it next time.  I used 25 mm cellulose casings, these are both a dream and a curse.  Getting them on the spool was tough, they sure are finicky, I tried water, cooking oil but they just didn't want to go on.  But they slip off real nice at the end.

I smoked for 2 hours with hickory, then it was into the water for a bath at 165 F until they reached 152 F, then a cold soak.

All in all a good experience, I'll do it again for sure. 

Stuffed and ready for smoke

Into the drink

Blooming along with two loaves of sourdough bread cooling

Ready for a BBQ

Here's one cut

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

waycoolcat

Those look awesome! Every time I check this forum I see something else I'm going to add to my list to try.
I want to be a better carnivore!

pjplovedog

Those look really good.  How do they taste? 

Saber 4

That looks great, I like the look and texture of the cut one, I think you hit it perfectly on the emulsifying. I think I would like that better than ending up with the really smooth commercial dog texture, you're bread looks awesome also.

WoodlawnSmoker

Quote from: pjplovedog on April 06, 2014, 03:13:56 PM
Those look really good.  How do they taste?

Thanks everyone, the support on this forum is first class.  I just finished one of the dogs grilled on the bbq, it was quite excellent actually.  I didn't have any grilled peppers which is my norm with dogs.  I followed Kutas' recipe closely except I dialed back the salt a bit, his dishes seem to have more salt than I prefer.  I might add just a touch of turmeric next time for a bit of punch but it doesn't need much.

tailfeathers

Yup, they look really good. I agree about the texture, look dang near perfect to me!
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

SiFumar

renoman

Nice lookin' weenies. I too prefer the courser texture.

Skishy

Those look delicious. I think I need a 6 pack of those while I watch the game tonight.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

bundy

Looks Great, I also like the texture more course :)