• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

To pull or not to pull....

Started by hvhunter, April 08, 2014, 06:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hvhunter

Good evening to all. I'm going to smoke a pork butt on Wed that will be consumed on Thurs. After it's done ftc tomm evening, should I pull it then, or leave it whole then pull it after rewarming in a crock pot the following day? Or is there a better way to do this?  Thanks in advance for the replies.

TedEbear

I do the pulling right after the FTC. 

BAM1

Yep, Pull after FTC and bag it.  If you can vac seal it you can actually throw the bag into some boiling whater to heat it up without losing any juice.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

KyNola

Quote from: BAM1 on April 08, 2014, 06:49:51 PM
Yep, Pull after FTC and bag it.  If you can vac seal it you can actually throw the bag into some boiling whater to heat it up without losing any juice.
I agree with everything BAM1 said except that I wouldn't want the water boiling, just under the boiling point.  Sometimes boiling water will cause the seal on the bag to release and you can wind up with a bag of waterlogged pulled pork.(Don't ask me how I learned this first hand even though I had been warned. ::))

Northern_Hunting_Mom

If you have a crock pot then are set up just right. I do really like the vacuum seal bag idea for camping. Pull it, bag it, sauce it then seal it. Darned fine idea for next month.

Wildcat

I recommend pulling it then storing it until ready. If vac sealed, then I totally agree with KyNola, Keep it under the boiling point to minimize the risk of the bag loosing its seal and getting water in it. I vac seal and freeze mine all the time in smaller servings since it is just myself and the wife.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

tailfeathers

Like the others, I would pull as soon as it's cool enough to handle after the FTC. I would also  add the sauce at this point so it gets a chance to permeate the meat. If you are eating it the next day I would probably just stick it in a ziplock and refrigerate. Then after eating I would vac seal and freeze any leftovers in whatever portion sizes will best suit your future meal plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where there's smoke, there's HAPPINESS!!!

tailfeathers

Oh and I forgot to say that I would most likely warm the pork at least partway in a microwave then into your crockpot. Crock pots (at least mine) take forever to get food good and hot if it starts out really cold, a much more reasonable amount of time if food is a bit warm going in. Good luck!

Dano

I do pork shoulders a day in advance and I don't even FTC it.  After it's sat out for 10-15 mins  I pull it.  I try to get the tempt o 195F though and it pulls a part beautifully.  Then I throw it in the crockpot, put the ceramic in the fridge and pull it out the next day.  2-3 hours on low and you'll bring the temp up slowly as not to dry it out.  I wouldn't add sauce if you've chopped up enough bark and have a good dry rub - let people try it as is and you'll be surprised how little sauce it needs.  :)  If you do like a good sauce try a homemade carolina mustard or if you're from the west there's a few cola/habanero sauces out there.

Either way, sounds like a lot of good ideas here to try!  Enjoy!
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

pensrock

I agree. Pull it and bag it with the juices. Reheat in the crockpot, if more juice is needed give it a splash of apple juice. Once reheated let the ones eating it put the sauce on if they want. I'm doing a small butt this week for myself and will pull and vac pack into small portions for myself, then freeze. It is always great when reheated.  :)

hvhunter

I'm paranoid to vac seal and put into water, due to the fact that my sealer has been acting up lately and some seals have come loose. This is for a Frozen Four party tomorrow night, and I can't chance having this go wrong.

Will pull after FTC, sauce 1/3 with my carolina style, 1/3 with Sweet Baby Rays, and 1/3 plain all into a zip lock. Will have plenty of time to reheat in crock pots with a splash of apple juice.

Thanks to all; these were all great ideas.

tailfeathers

So who ya pullin' for in the FF?

hvhunter

Union.  One, they are the closest team to me.  Two, Gost #14 is property of the Flyers, my team.  Tough
opponent BC will be. No need to say who you're pulling for...I can deduce that by your signature card.  That
game should be a dandy as well. 

Regardless, a bunch of us guys that play beer league hockey are getting together to watch both games, drink
high quality IPA samples, chow down  on my pulled pork, and watch two great games.

Dano

I love it when a plan comes together. ;)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

tailfeathers

[quote author=hvhunter link=topic=34899.msg404662#msg404662 date=

Regardless, a bunch of us guys that play beer league hockey are getting together to watch both games, drink
high quality IPA samples, chow down  on my pulled pork, and watch two great games.
[/quote]Sounds like fun, and will root for Union on your behalf, but just for the semifinal round!!