• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dry curing salami question

Started by crackin, April 10, 2014, 11:13:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackin

Started my first batch of dry cured salami.  Added the Bactoferm FR-M-52, added the Cure #2, mixed and stuffed.  Incubated at 85F, 85Rh, for 24 hours, then dropped to 60F, 75Rh.  The sausages did pick up a little pink color from the Cure, but my curing chamber kinda stinks.  Is this normal?  Smells sausage left on the counter for a day, with a splash of vinegar.  Kinda has me worried.  I did spray with the white mold, but it has not taken, yet.  (day 2).

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: crackin on April 10, 2014, 11:13:57 AM
Started my first batch of dry cured salami.  Added the Bactoferm FR-M-52, added the Cure #2, mixed and stuffed.  Incubated at 85F, 85Rh, for 24 hours, then dropped to 60F, 75Rh.  The sausages did pick up a little pink color from the Cure, but my curing chamber kinda stinks.  Is this normal?  Smells sausage left on the counter for a day, with a splash of vinegar.  Kinda has me worried.  I did spray with the white mold, but it has not taken, yet.  (day 2).

I see a few open areas here.

Added the frm and cure 2 mixed and stuffed.

When i mix some fermenting agent i mix with distilled water and a pinch of dextrose. The frm feeds on the dextrose wich creates the lactic acid for the fermentation to take place. I set the frm/water/dextrose aside while i mix the spices and cure into the meat.
(I add the fermenting liquid in last then remix before stuffing)

As for the fermentation temp and r/h it all depends on which fermenting agent and type of salami your making, times and r/h can vary for different applications.

The smell is normal, sorta like a rotten amonia smell. The smell will go away in a couple days. If you sprayed with mold 600 or let natural mold form and you wiped down with vinegar the mold will not likely come back in much form.

Also important is to check the PH level of the meat. You need a ph 5.0 drop in 4 days with frm52

IMHO

If your in any doubt about the salami. Toss it and start over.

crackin

Thanks much!  It's that rotten amonia smell, you mention.  In answer to your concerns, I did mix the F-RM 52 with some distilled water to dissolve, then mixed it in with the meat.  Dextrose was part of the spice mix.  I followed the recipe in Charcuterie for Tuscan Salami, except without the wine and fennel.  Its just my first time, and it is an awfully odd smell.  I think you described it well.  I will pull a stick in another day or so, take a sample and pH test it.  I assume the preferred method (with test strips) is to mix it up with a small amount of distilled water, then dip the strip?  I have some test strips for making beer, that measure from 4.6 to 5.6 pH.

I did not wipe down the sausages with vinegar, just sprayed them (twice now) with the 600 mold.  Will hit them again with a new batch in a couple of days, if it has not started.

I can assume that the smell is either the meat rotting, or the meat fermenting successfully.  I will have to look at the culture, which I believe has two components, and see what the byproducts of fermentation are.  I would bet they include amonia, vinegar, lactic, etc.

Thanks again!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: crackin on April 10, 2014, 01:07:52 PM
Thanks much!  It's that rotten amonia smell, you mention.  In answer to your concerns, I did mix the F-RM 52 with some distilled water to dissolve, then mixed it in with the meat.  Dextrose was part of the spice mix.  I followed the recipe in Charcuterie for Tuscan Salami, except without the wine and fennel.  Its just my first time, and it is an awfully odd smell.  I think you described it well.  I will pull a stick in another day or so, take a sample and pH test it.  I assume the preferred method (with test strips) is to mix it up with a small amount of distilled water, then dip the strip?  I have some test strips for making beer, that measure from 4.6 to 5.6 pH.

I did not wipe down the sausages with vinegar, just sprayed them (twice now) with the 600 mold.  Will hit them again with a new batch in a couple of days, if it has not started.

I can assume that the smell is either the meat rotting, or the meat fermenting successfully.  I will have to look at the culture, which I believe has two components, and see what the byproducts of fermentation are.  I would bet they include amonia, vinegar, lactic, etc.

Thanks again!

Try not to apply no more mold 600.

Some info on FR-RM-52

For medium-fast acidification. Due to the short fermentation, final product may have a mild
sourly flavor. Bactoferm F-RM-52 culture causes the meat's pH to drop to under 5.0 in about 4 days.
Great for products like salami or products with diameters from >1"- 3". Fast culture targeted for fermentation temperatures 70°F-90°F. Both L. sakei and S. carnosus have optimal growth at 86°F, they will grow best around this temperature. They metabolize Dextrose and Fructose which create lactic acid (do not use Sugar). S. carnosus is a curing/flavoring bacteria that needs time to be effective.
Typically this culture is for products that take around 1 month to fully complete (includes drying).

Use

After seasonings and spices have been effectively mixed into minced meat the culture is introduced and also thoroughly mixed. For every 10lbs. of meat dilute ½ tsp. of culture in ½ cup distilled water (or chlorine freetap water). Let sit for 15-20 minutes for bacteria to
"wake-up" then pour over mixed meat and re-mix thoroughly. Make sure meat stays cold through mixing process. Use InstaCure#1 or
#1 and #2 mixed with this culture.