Smoked cashews

Started by WoodlawnSmoker, April 26, 2014, 05:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodlawnSmoker

Just a simple recipe, took some plain cashews, added about a tablespoon of peanut oil and sprinkled with some sea salt.  Decided to throw a small round of Oka cheese too.  Gave them two hours of a cherry/apple wood mixture.

The cashews have a strong ashtray flavour similar to just smoked cheese.  Will this taste mellow in time and any idea how long it usually takes for nuts?

BoxcarBetts

I've found my cashews are edible after about a week, but really taste nice after 2. My most recent batch I haven't even touched and will be at 2 weeks tomorrow.

Also, I just take salted cashews from Costco and apply 2 hours of mesquite or hickory. I'm not sure if the oil will affect the mellowing period.
They say it's easier to quit heroin than it is to quit smoking!

richard31

The cashews looks huge in size

BoxcarBetts

So contrary to my above post, I smoked some cashews the other day and I guess my affinity for smoke must be growing because I thought they tastes good right out of the smoker.  My hated them, however.  The peanuts I smoked at the same time were horrid right out, so I'm gonna let them mellow.  But after 2 days, the cashews are good enough to start eating (for me, anyway).

WoodlawnSmoker

Interesting, I thought your first post was bang on.  After about ten days they were perfect.  I'm going to do another batch today, I didn't get too many, my wife made them disappear fast.

BoxcarBetts

Did you try them after a couple of days as well?  I've done several batches of cashews now and I swear it always took about 10 days to get good!  I really don't know what could've been different for me this time.  Except I'm using hickory and I normally use mesquite.  But I've used hickory before.  I dunno!