Help - First whole chicken smoke

Started by cardsfan626, April 30, 2014, 06:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cardsfan626

Hi all,

Never smoked a whole chicken before. Bought 2 small whole chickens to smoke this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to smoke the chickens from beginning to end? Just want to know how you all smoke your yard birds. All advice and opinions are very welcome.  Thanks

Saber 4

I like to spatchcock mine, give them a good seasoning and smoke them at 220 for about 2 hours of pecan, when the IT gets about 155-160 I put in the oven or on the grill to crisp up the skin and bring it to the final IT of 165+

KyNola

Chickens have a lot of moisture so make sure your vent is wide open to let the moisture escape quickly.  Also, chickens are a smoke sponge.  A couple hours of smoke should be adequate.

CoreyMac

My first chicken I made a mistake by just setting it in the smoker breast up. It cooked perfect and was good but the drippings collected in the carcass while cooking and it was a real mess. It had almost imploded by the time it was done. The spatchcock idea is a good one. Or you could try one of the rigs that props the chicken upright, that probably would work also, the rig I have for the bar-b-Que collects the juice in a drip tray.

Corey

cardsfan626

Thanks for all of the input, it really does help since I don't smoke meat every week!