• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bad Heating Elements

Started by jmforester, May 01, 2014, 10:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmforester

A few years ago when I first got my Original Bradley Smoker BTIS1 there was a problem with the heating elements blowing out very quickly. I went through 5-6 before I finally had a good element that lasted. Then I did the two element mod, fan, and have a dual probe Auger PID and the elements were ok, lasting 1-2 years each until last January when I had one element die after two months. I replaced it and used the smoker 5-6 times. Today I started it up and after 30 minutes one heating element died. After another 40 minutes the second one died. One had less than a years use, the other only 5-6 times over a few weeks.

Is there still a problem with inferior heating elements that die quickly?

Thanks

tskeeter

I haven't heard about a bad batch of heating elements, again.

Habanero Smoker

The problem with the bad elements has been cleared up some time ago. When did you purchase the elements that just recently went bad? Have you tried testing them with a multimeter. You should get a resistance between 27 - 32 ohms.

If they test alright, you may have another problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jmforester

Both bad elements tested 0. Both new elements tested 29-30. Bradley support wasn't very nice answering my emails.

Habanero Smoker

I hope these two will last you for awhile. When I did my second element mod, around May, 2010 I purchased two new elements, and they are still working fine. That was before the bad batches hit the market.

I've never used their tech support, but from what I've seen, it is better to call. Those that have tried to use email ran into delays.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)